SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Should the Falklands be given to Argentina
Yes 3 3.80%
No 74 93.67%
Who gives a flying pengiun? 2 2.53%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-02-12, 08:31 PM   #51
-Ralph-

Default Re: The Falklands

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
and shallower?
Not necessarily, next time I'll walk through first to see where the deep/shallow bits are. The bike can cope with some pretty deep water without swamping the airbox, it was the sudden drop, the surprise of it, and the fact I came to a stop with my front wheel in the deep bit, by back wheel on the high bit and my legs dangling into the water above the deep bit so I couldn't reach the river bed, that caused me to topple over.

Check out this river crossing, don't forget that front wheel is a 21 inch rim, with 3 inches of tyre on it, so water covering the front wheel is 27 inches deep. Where I dropped my bike it was nearly headlight deep, but having walked it first I wouldn't ride that bit again.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

for Specialone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcEfh...5cFAAAAAAAABAA

Last edited by -Ralph-; 15-02-12 at 08:42 PM.
Old 15-02-12, 08:34 PM   #52
-Ralph-

Anyway, MAJOR derail, sorry Dave.

The Falklands.....
Old 15-02-12, 09:20 PM   #53
Lozzo

The "Stills"** want to be British, they have oil, the Argies now want the islands to be theirs. Last time Britain was able to properly descend upon the islands and reclaim them as British... this time I'm not so sure we have either the manpower or resources to do the same.

** Those in the know will understand
Old 15-02-12, 09:22 PM   #54
DJFridge

I'm not sure about the logistics of how it can be enforced should the Argentinians get more actively stroppy about them (as opposed to winging and creating like a spoilt child which seems to be the current tactic) but no, the Falklands should not be given to Argentina. Along with many other random bits of the world, the islands that became The Falklands were uninteresting, uninhabited rocks when the British laid claim to them. It isn't a case of "should we give them back" because they weren't Argentinian to begin with. As others have said, it would be like the French asking for the Channel Islands back.

If the Falklands had no natural resources except penguins, the Argentinians wouldn't give a stuff. A bit like we wouldn't have done if Kuwait's only natural resource had been sand.
Old 16-02-12, 03:30 PM   #55
blue curvy jester

The whole Argie airforce has about 60 planes most of which are designs from the 1960's +1970's

(the fighting hawks the newest 30ish are an upgrade delivered in 1998 after they were retired by the us)

the rapier capability and the new destroyer parked off argie coast ( the worlds best air defence platform 'haegedly) should stop any air attack

and the 140 eurofighters that the RAF have should do the trick ( i know only 60 are front line operationly and some are on deployment)
Old 16-02-12, 03:39 PM   #56
LankyIanB

Re: Sean Penn - excellent article from the Telegraph (for a change) http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ti...-the-mexicans/

And yes it's all about oil, quite a bit of it by sounds....http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...-windfall.html
Old 16-02-12, 04:42 PM   #57
daveyrach

Britain ruled the Falklands before Argentina existed so what right does Argentina have over them exactly?
Old 16-02-12, 05:16 PM   #58
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyrach View Post
Britain ruled the Falklands before Argentina existed so what right does Argentina have over them exactly?
Thats pretty lame reasoning isnt it? The british empire was huge but slowly shrank away to almost nothing - what right did britain have over those places?

So what right does britain have over the flaklands now?
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P

Last edited by Spiderman; 16-02-12 at 05:24 PM.
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-12, 05:29 PM   #59
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
Thats pretty lame reasoning isnt it? The british empire was huge but slowly shrank away to almost nothing - what right did britain have over those places?

So what right does britain have over the flaklands now?
In fairness Zig, what right have the argies got either? Just cos it geographically closer?

Its no different to any settlers in any new discovered land in history, the small matter of natives already living there didnt seem to stop anybody settling and calling that place theirs.

Slight derail, why dont you play DM any more on MW3? i dont get that game you play
Old 16-02-12, 05:34 PM   #60
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
In fairness Zig, what right have the argies got either? Just cos it geographically closer?

Its no different to any settlers in any new discovered land in history, the small matter of natives already living there didnt seem to stop anybody settling and calling that place theirs.

Slight derail, why dont you play DM any more on MW3? i dont get that game you play
I dont disagree with you there either mate, just wondering how the poster above thought his argument was in any way valid. but i suppose only becuase its closer it should be theirs. How much does it cost to send a warship all the way there from here i wonder? And just how many brits are there that need protection? Its all about the oil as with all modern wars i guess.
Could you imagine if the Argentinians laid claim to Jersey for example? Its wierd to me to own something so close to another country yet so far away from you own.

Hehe, i do play other games on MW3 dude, demolition is where i once got 32 kills, my highest ever lol and i kind of stick with it in the hope that i'll get that good again. One day. Whats wrong with me, i play ne game and get 32 kills, next game i get 7, wtf am i doing wrong???????
Some fella playing the other night had 112 kills!!!! Now how the fek do you get that and no be cheating?
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote