SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-04-09, 05:25 PM   #21
Jamiebridges123

Default Re: Speeding?

I'll regularly do 70 in a 60 without problem, most of the police cars round here pull over a bit so I can get past. Then again I always have my full gear on and I hear that they take less kindly were you in shorts and a T-shirt.

Obviously if you were doing 70 in a 60, this is less serious than doing 37 in a 30. So just use your judgement. I tend to stick to 30's and 40's, or at the most keep up with traffic. If they pull you up for doing 33 in a 30 while you're in a row of cars you can simply say you were keeping up with the flow of traffic.
Old 08-04-09, 06:19 PM   #22
Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiebridges123 View Post
I'll regularly do 70 in a 60 without problem, most of the police cars round here pull over a bit so I can get past.
Just where is it you live then?
Old 08-04-09, 06:22 PM   #23
ibshort

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditPat View Post
Speed doesn't kill. The sudden stop, that's what gets you.
true dat
________
ALOTSQUIRTX

Last edited by ibshort; 19-08-11 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-04-09, 06:29 PM   #24
Jamiebridges123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Just where is it you live then?
Uhm Thatcham. Main piece of road is the A4 between here and reading. Obviously going through Woolhampton (small village) I stick to 30mph, but I'll do 70 without a worry. That said, I tend to do 70 on most national roads, of course only if it's safe! If I don't know the road or I can't see where it goes I'll ride accordingly.
Old 08-04-09, 07:13 PM   #25
rowdy

They will probably come round to your house, beat you with a truncheon and push you over.
Or they could come round and just give you a warning, like the one I recieved at the weekend for being seen overtaking in my car by an off duty officer, although from the way it was presumed to be me driving the car and the car being registered in my wifes name it wouldn't surprise me if I knew the off duty officer in question, not even sure they had the reg number either as this was not mentioned so I should of told him to foxtrott oscar.
B@stard was talking shiite anyway, said I overtook a line of cars in a 40 limit, when It was two cars, edge of a 40 limit turning into a national speed limit on a bright sunny day and on a roman road so not a bend in sight.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 07:56 PM   #26
ryanh1418

Chill out! With a gun you'd have been stopped there and then (actually, cover my ****, I'd be very very surprised if anything happens). As someone else has said your actual speed will have been a lot less. There is no 10% + bla bla bullcrap, there's a set of national guidelines so X-mph in a 30 gets you a ticket, X-mph gets you a day in court. With the handheld guns you get officer discretion as well (about the one thing we're allowed to use it on still) and contrary to whatever myths you want to believe our discretion goes in your favour as well.

Have you thought that maybe he watched you go past to admire the bike? That's what I'd be doing!! And, so long as they don't appear like a bat out of hell riding like a complete tool, I'll move my patrol car over on the A-roads as well. Don't forget, it's only a bloody job - we like our bikes too!!

Old 08-04-09, 09:02 PM   #27
busasean

i ride up the A21 everyday and almost all the artics/vans and most police move over in the 60 limit when i'm doing over 60. traffic police tend to be hot and cold depending on their PPI's. Sussex traffic police are **** though.....
Old 08-04-09, 09:14 PM   #28
-Ralph-

In my experience, the usual for that setup is for them to step out and halt you, but that doesn't rule out them just noting your details and you getting a NIP.

There are set speeds at which you get a ticket, and at which you go to court, etc, but the 10% + 2mph is not bullcarp, it's an ACPO national guideline, but indvididual police forces don't necessarily have follow that guideline, but most do.

If you don't get the NIP within the next 14-18 days or so, and your bike is correctly registered with your name and address at the DVLA, then stop worrying about it, even if you get the NIP after that your off the hook unless theres a good reason why it wasn't posted in time.

Lots of folk will argue on this subject on a forum, it's as good as asking the bloke down the pub, so nowadays I post what I believe to be true then move on from the thread, whether or not you trust my version is up to you and I don't care who agrees with it or otherwise. Good luck and keep your fingers crossed.
Old 10-04-09, 08:59 AM   #29
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by busasean View Post
i ride up the A21 everyday and almost all the artics/vans and most police move over in the 60 limit when i'm doing over 60. traffic police tend to be hot and cold depending on their PPI's. Sussex traffic police are **** though.....
There are two kinds of Traffic cops.
The first joined the department because they are petrol heads, enjoy driving/riding fast cars/bikes and take pride in their roadcraft. Yes they also enjoy the perks of their jobs occasionally and use/abuse their freedom, but generally speaking they are you friend. If you are driving/riding responsibly and don't jump down their throat if they do stop you then they can have a considerable degree of discretion, especially if they think you also take some pride in how you drive/ride.

Then there are those that join the department for other reasons, and generally they are not your friend. You can call them all kinds of unpleasant things, but that will not make them go away. Fortunately they are in the minority, however if you get to meet one professionally you are going to have to accept whatever they throw at you at the roadside and then work on it later. Challenging them face to face is a complete waste of time, they will simply dig in deeper and make sure whatever they eventually write in their book is bulletproof. Best practice is to act humble, throw in the odd "I hear what you say officer" but never, ever, make any admissions.

Back to the original post if you have time to stop prior to going past the officer then as a general rule you weren't going fast enough to interest them. If they don't stop you it's because they fall into the second camp and sending "Dear John" letters is a whole lot easier then actually stopping and speaking to offenders, where god forbid you might actually get involved with a proper criminal.... so my advice is if you do see a speed check ahead (and provided you weren't going silly speeds) pull over anyhow even if they don't ask you to and engage them in entertaining conversation for a while. I generally use the excuse of asking for directions but asking them to help you calibrate your speedo is a good one, especially if you ask if they will do it in three figures.....either way any conversation other than "how fast was I going" will divert their attention and interest and puts them on the back foot. If they then later do try and send you an NIP you are in an excellent position to challenge why they didn't deal with you at the time. Besides, all the time they are busy talking to you they can't be measuring me.....or anyone else!

Last edited by Red Herring; 10-04-09 at 09:02 AM.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-09, 08:50 PM   #30
2FAT2RUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenjer View Post
or they keep an eye out and shout on the radio about the make and colour of bike, the design on your lid, your type and colour of your jacket or leathers etc...not to mention the fact that you now are obvious by your lack of number plate.

You must be in the JOB, me thinks???