SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 29-01-12, 11:35 PM   #1
Rhosyn

Default Bike luggage on the Ferry

Hi, Im new on here so hope I'm right in doing this.

I'm planning on a bike trip to Europe this year. I have a top box and will use a soft luggage tied onto the pillion seat with bungees and was wondering how safe is it to leave it on the bike while on the ferry down in the parking area. There will only be clothing in the bag no valuables. Has anyone ever had their luggage tampered with while travelling by ferry.
Old 29-01-12, 11:40 PM   #2
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike luggage on the Ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhosyn View Post
Has anyone ever had their luggage tampered with while travelling by ferry.
Only done 3 or 4 overnight crossings but all was fine, there's no access to the car decks during the crossing (for passengers at least).
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-12, 11:44 PM   #3
Rhosyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzio View Post
Only done 3 or 4 overnight crossings but all was fine, there's no access to the car decks during the crossing (for passengers at least).
Ok thanks for that, I was thinking about how honest the crew members were. But at least you've had no problems so that's good.
Old 30-01-12, 09:35 AM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

I've never had any problems with my stuff being tampered with on the car deck in many crossings. If I'm camping my bike looks like this

It's an old photo but gives the idea. The tank bag comes off and with me into the passenger areas as it contains my valuables.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-12, 09:43 AM   #5
Rhosyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
I've never had any problems with my stuff being tampered with on the car deck in many crossings. If I'm camping my bike looks like this

It's an old photo but gives the idea. The tank bag comes off and with me into the passenger areas as it contains my valuables.
Thanks
Old 30-01-12, 09:47 AM   #6
-Ralph-

Quote:
Has anyone ever had their luggage tampered with while travelling by ferry
Yes, Plymouth to Santander this summer. Nothing missing, but nothing worth stealing in the top tail pack and panniers. Somebody had opened it and had a rummage around though. All my tools were in the bottom tailpack, but it didn't look like they wanted to go to the hassle of removing the top one, or disturb things to the extent where they couldn't just walk away whistling if they were disturbed. On the way back I put a tie wrap through each zip, and took a picture, just enough that a potential thief knew I could prove tampering with the ferry company if I got back to the bike and the tie wraps were cut or gone.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 30-01-12 at 09:51 AM.
Old 30-01-12, 10:07 AM   #7
Rhosyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Yes, Plymouth to Santander this summer. Nothing missing, but nothing worth stealing in the top tail pack and panniers. Somebody had opened it and had a rummage around though. All my tools were in the bottom tailpack, but it didn't look like they wanted to go to the hassle of removing the top one, or disturb things to the extent where they couldn't just walk away whistling if they were disturbed. On the way back I put a tie wrap through each zip, and took a picture, just enough that a potential thief knew I could prove tampering with the ferry company if I got back to the bike and the tie wraps were cut or gone.

Dam.....That's the one Im planning on going on in May. I will have a waterproof cover over the bag and then the bungees so hopefully they wont be able to rumage through my smalls That bag will only contain my clothes so there will be nothing worth nicking. But they should have security cameras down there and sack who ever tampers with other peoples belongings.

Thanks for your reply
Old 30-01-12, 11:41 AM   #8
-Ralph-

Yep, as Luckypants says, take a tank bag on board with all your valuables.

Do you have a cabin? If not a couple of tips:

On the Pont Aven the reclining seats lounge is at the top of the main staircase on the top deck, next to the swimming pool (don't take swimming stuff unless you want to be the only adult in a tiny pool packed full of excited kids). Go straight up there when you board and at the back of the room is a rack containing duvet's pillows, etc, go commandeer what you want before anybody else gets there. I made myself a bed on the floor at the front of the room with one of the duvets then dumped all my towel and bike gear on top of it.

At night when sleeping I wrapped my tankbag in the towel and used it as a pillow. Nobody was getting my wallet, camera and phone without waking me up and getting a punch in the face.

There is a shower and small changing area in the toilets right next to the swimming pool for the morning.

Anything else you want to ask about the ferry or the journey, fire away.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 30-01-12 at 11:50 AM.
Old 30-01-12, 12:10 PM   #9
Rhosyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Yep, as Luckypants says, take a tank bag on board with all your valuables.

Do you have a cabin? If not a couple of tips:

On the Pont Aven the reclining seats lounge is at the top of the main staircase on the top deck, next to the swimming pool (don't take swimming stuff unless you want to be the only adult in a tiny pool packed full of excited kids). Go straight up there when you board and at the back of the room is a rack containing duvet's pillows, etc, go commandeer what you want before anybody else gets there. I made myself a bed on the floor at the front of the room with one of the duvets then dumped all my towel and bike gear on top of it.

At night when sleeping I wrapped my tankbag in the towel and used it as a pillow. Nobody was getting my wallet, camera and phone without waking me up and getting a punch in the face.

There is a shower and small changing area in the toilets right next to the swimming pool for the morning.

Anything else you want to ask about the ferry or the journey, fire away.
I've gone for the reclining seat, thanks for that advice, very much appreciated.
Old 30-01-12, 12:14 PM   #10
-Ralph-

Quote:
I've gone for the reclining seat, thanks for that advice, very much appreciated.
How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? Have you just booked recently?