SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-08-08, 04:11 PM   #1
Lucas

Default Best bike ride for a fair while

Had an excellent ride out yesterday. Had a bit of a tussle with a big harley davidson.

I was on one of those really, really twisting sections of road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have warning signs that say "Max Speed 20 MPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the harley up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering.
Three corners later, I was on his mudguard. Catching him was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the hill. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and out power me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me more determined than ever.

My only hope was to outbrake him. I held off squeezing the lever until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up. Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would pass me for good.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the valley, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rearview mirror.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the valley and I had preserved the proud tradition of no holds barred riding.

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedalled so hard in my life.

And some of the credit must go to Raleigh, as well.

Old 18-08-08, 04:32 PM   #2
sv-robo

Default Re: Best bike ride for a fair while

What!!!!!.......you raced a harley d & beat it,blimey

Old 18-08-08, 04:41 PM   #3
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
And some of the credit must go to Raleigh, as well.

Old 18-08-08, 05:36 PM   #4
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Made me giggle. Lots
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-08, 05:36 PM   #5
stephen365

"And some of the credit must go to Raleigh, as well."

You must have had clip in pedals ya cheat!!
Old 18-08-08, 06:14 PM   #6
monkey

Flippin 'eck Lucas! I was gonna say "please tell me you know Harleys aren't powerful and don't go round corners" but then got to the punchline. Nice one.

Next rideout is led by you then (On the motorbike)
Old 18-08-08, 06:38 PM   #7
Clone

To understand this story fully, i feel i need to know who Raleigh is :P
Old 18-08-08, 09:30 PM   #8
phil24_7
Mega Poster

See here for Raleigh!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Raleigh

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-08, 09:35 PM   #9
TazDaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil24_7 View Post
Old 18-08-08, 09:47 PM   #10
Lucas

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/