SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-08-10, 12:04 AM   #1
Lozzo

Default Hampshire Police on Nigh****ch

Just watched two traffic officers pull over a couple of middle aged blokes on R1s who were riding a bit quick in a 40 limit. They were polite, pulled over and took off helmets etc and admitted they might have been going a bit faster than 40 but the following cops couldn't give a definitive speed so didn't book them for that offence. They did mention an undertake on a dual carriageway that one officer said was "verging on Dangerous Driving", I don't think that officer realises that undertaking per se isn't illegal and ought to read his law books a bit more closely. However, they did have small plates and put their hands up to it.

Next on the list was the exhausts - one was a Yoshi and the other a Wolf, both had quiet baffles in and weren't loud, but the coppers gave them each a ticket because they weren't BS or E marked. Try as I might I can't find an E mark anywhere on my standard Kawasaki exhaust, so why the hell should they expect to see one on an aftermarket one?

That is taking things a bit too far in my opinion and doesn't help the police to make friends amongst road users of any kind.
Old 30-08-10, 12:07 AM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Hampshire Police on Nigh****ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Just watched two traffic officers pull over a couple of middle aged blokes on R1s who were riding a bit quick in a 40 limit. They were polite, pulled over and took off helmets etc and admitted they might have been going a bit faster than 40 but the following cops couldn't give a definitive speed so didn't book them for that offence. They did mention an undertake on a dual carriageway that one officer said was "verging on Dangerous Driving", I don't think that officer realises that undertaking per se isn't illegal and ought to read his law books a bit more closely. However, they did have small plates and put their hands up to it.

Next on the list was the exhausts - one was a Yoshi and the other a Wolf, both had quiet baffles in and weren't loud, but the coppers gave them each a ticket because they weren't BS or E marked. Try as I might I can't find an E mark anywhere on my standard Kawasaki exhaust, so why the hell should they expect to see one on an aftermarket one?

That is taking things a bit too far in my opinion and doesn't help the police to make friends amongst road users of any kind.
Im watching that now, that cop couldnt do them for what he wanted so resorted to anything he could think of.
That said thats why i dont bother with small plates, it attracts the wrong attention imo.
I would argue the can one tbh, whose to say the mark hasnt been polished out, my old scorpian one got very faint after a few polishes with autosol.
Old 30-08-10, 12:08 AM   #3
hongman

I'm interested in the undertaking bit. Thought it was illegal. Also always wondered what variable constitutes a pass in lane vs undertake.

Sorry for the slight derail.
Old 30-08-10, 12:31 AM   #4
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Im watching that now, that cop couldnt do them for what he wanted so resorted to anything he could think of.
That said thats why i dont bother with small plates, it attracts the wrong attention imo.
I would argue the can one tbh, whose to say the mark hasnt been polished out, my old scorpian one got very faint after a few polishes with autosol.
AIUI that could get you in more trouble than just having an unmarked can - I believe it can be construed as "Fraud" or "Perverting the course of justice".

I'm not sure of the maximum punishments for these offences - but I'm sure it's a damn site more than a rectification notice or a few quid fine !!

If you ride with an illegal can / small plate / non-standard visor then just accept that if you get stopped by the police they can nick you; if that bothers you, then keep the bike & yourself legal - we all have that choice don't we ?
Old 30-08-10, 12:43 AM   #5
L3nny
Mega Poster

And if you ride over the speed limit expect to be pulled over.

I completely agree with your sentiments Lozzo but if you don't break the law you wont get prosecuted.

Whether you agree with the law or not you have to obey it just as the copper has to uphold it.
Old 30-08-10, 07:10 AM   #6
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox View Post
AIUI that could get you in more trouble than just having an unmarked can - I believe it can be construed as "Fraud" or "Perverting the course of justice".

I'm not sure of the maximum punishments for these offences - but I'm sure it's a damn site more than a rectification notice or a few quid fine !!

If you ride with an illegal can / small plate / non-standard visor then just accept that if you get stopped by the police they can nick you; if that bothers you, then keep the bike & yourself legal - we all have that choice don't we ?
I wasnt saying on my post i delibrately doctored mine, the opposite, mine was road legal, thats the only one i would fit tbh, i cant be ar5ed with the hassle hence why i have a legal plate, visor and original can (for now).

My point was even the road legal cans can be hard to confirm this if they have been polished a number of times.
Old 30-08-10, 07:13 AM   #7
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
And if you ride over the speed limit expect to be pulled over.

I completely agree with your sentiments Lozzo but if you don't break the law you wont get prosecuted.

Whether you agree with the law or not you have to obey it just as the copper has to uphold it.
Sorry Lenny thats not always true either, Flameboy believed he was abiding by the law with his supplied 33hp restrictor, but they decided to try and prosecute him anyway.
Fabricated offences do happen im afraid, that said, i have broken the speed limit and got a reprieve so has balanced out in my experience.
Old 30-08-10, 08:22 AM   #8
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
You bike doesn't need an E mark - see here.

Quote:
(d) Exhausts - on motorcycles first used on or after 1 January 1985 the silencer which forms part of the exhaust system must be either:
(i) that with which the machine was first fitted; or
(ii) clearly and indelibly marked with :-
-the relevant BS marking BS AU 193/T2, BS AU 193a, 1990/T2, BS AU 193a, 1990/T3; or
-the relevant "e" marking to show compliance with EC Directive 89/235; or the relevant "e" marking to show compliance with Chapter 9 of EC Directive 97/24; or
-the name or trade mark of the manufacturer or marked with that manufacturer's part number - relating to it.
Old 30-08-10, 08:53 AM   #9
Amplimator

Quote:
Im sorry thats ********. If the owner had accidently half polished out a 'not for road use' then id agree totally. But a half polished out e-mark? In what way would that be perverting the course of justice? The can was legal anyways.

I always thought that 'not for road use' cans didnt come with baffles/DB killers and road use cans did (remove baffles at your own risk on legal cans tho)
Is this not the case?

Quote:

I agree with this totally. But Lozzo's point still stands. Legal or not if they are in a bad mood an wanna nick ya for summit they will. Its your word against theirs. Right or wrong. They didnt like the guys on their bikes so they wanted to do 'em. And due to no proof of speeding (else they would have issued a ticket), and the undertaking (not breaking the law unless dangerous) they started nit-picking.

Face it they were bored and had nothing better to do.

Last edited by Amplimator; 30-08-10 at 08:55 AM.
Old 30-08-10, 08:56 AM   #10
hongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplimator View Post
and the undertaking (not breaking the law unless dangerous)
Now I wont feel so bad undertaking these ****'s sitting at 60mph in the fast lane when the other 2 lanes are emtpy.