SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 05-01-10, 12:23 PM   #1
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default France in July/August

Hi all,
Me and some friends are thinking about a trip to France, I've never been there so don't have any experience.
I've made up a rough route, but I'm slightly concerned about accommodation as we don't want to carry tents with us and want to stay in some cheap motels or b&b's (something like Formule1 motels, 40euro for a room for 3).
The first two days are easy to plan. Crossing the channel and staying in F1 in Dunkirk on the first day, and heading to Lyon on the second day (F1 motel again).
After that we'd like to stay clear of motorways and head south, with another stop somewhere around Gap. After that, there would be two 3-4 day stops. I was thinking
Villeneuve Loubet and Montpellier.
I've spoken to a few people at work and got mixed feedback. Some say it's a bad idea to head to the south of France in that time of the year with no accommodation booked, others that it shouldn't be a problem.
Of course we could book all the rooms in advance, but that would require keeping to a schedule and we'd like to avoid that and be a bit
spontaneous.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks
dyzio

dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 12:27 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: France in July/August

The guy who fits my tyres did a trip to France. He stayed in F1 hotels on his route and said it was great, saved a lot of hassle carrying all the extra kit. Good bed and able to shower every night.

Accom was good, better than F1's here

Beaware of the plod, as he got stopped. But all the plod wanted to do was look at his GSXR

He said that the French drivers were very considerate to bikers.

So at the mo, its ticking all the right boxes
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 12:58 PM   #3
dyzio
Mega Poster

Cheers, any idea if he booked it in advance or just stopped somewhere and looked for one?
Old 05-01-10, 01:01 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

Booked them all in advance if I remember correctly, worked out the route, then booked the hotels
Old 05-01-10, 01:41 PM   #5
ridelikeaturtle

I've been across France a couple times now, and I can tell you that it's well worth it to NOT stay in F1 Hotels. The showers and bathrooms are communal (one per several rooms) and there's no restaurant or bar. And there's no Wifi. The worst part is it wasn't that much cheaper.

Get a "rough guide" use that to find a nice hotel or a decent campsite, or stay at an Ibis (or similar). You'll appreciate the difference.

I stayed at an Ibis in Poitiers, and they even let me park the bike right up by the front door - very slim chance anyone would dare mess with it. Most F1's are in dodgy industrial estates.

Sorry to continue to rain negativity (!), but I wouldn't go to France in August. Everyone and all their kids are on holiday. The roads beaches are unbelievably crowded. And it's hot - your bike, and your leathers, won't like you.

September is MUCH better. I spent the whole month there and it was perfect. And the ferries are cheaper too. And the final positive of September is you won't need to book hotels in advance, as everyone (barring the retired) are done with their holidays. This also frees you up to stay an extra day somewhere you really like, or leave early somewhere you don't like so much.

Enjoy!
Old 05-01-10, 02:02 PM   #6
dyzio
Mega Poster

No worries mate, I appreciate all feedback.

I knew about the communal showers, the lack of a bar and wifi doesn't bother me that much.
As for price, looks like Ibis is charging £48 for a (single?) room (+ parking), whereas F1 is 40 euro max for a room for 3, works out just over a tenner per head.

As for date, unfortunately we have to compromise between work/family and college commitments so June and September don't look good.

But as said, thanks for the feedback. Still plenty of time to work things out.
Old 05-01-10, 02:04 PM   #7
maviczap
Mega Poster

If you were camping, the showers would also be comunal
Old 05-01-10, 04:11 PM   #8
ridelikeaturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
If you were camping, the showers would also be comunal
True; but you'd also have a pool, a restaurant, bar, safe parking, and a lot of cool people (French, German and Belgian) to hang out with and talk about bikes.

I guess 3 people in a single F1 room makes it much cheaper (for a single person it's definitely not worth it IMO).

I just spent two hours chipping ice from the sidewalk. Just thinking about such a trip is warming me up!
Old 06-01-10, 09:12 AM   #9
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Been in France in these months and never had a problem with accomodation "out in the sticks." I only book if we are staying 4-5 days on the med. Bag a nice hotel by the beach to chill out. Apart from that there is loads of choice and accomodation. If I want a chain place (soaked to the skin usually) i go for Ibis. Obviously, the earlier you look for digs (say 4pm) the less possible probs you will encounter.

We usually head to Dijon after the ferry then cut into Switzerland on more than decent roads (N5 to Nyon,) then towards Geneva down the side of Lake Geneva and into the Alps. (Annecy is gorgeous)

Is there a reason you are just skirting the edge of the Alps? Best riding in Europe. Off season in the Hotels etc. All the really high passes open. (Not so even in late June)
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-10, 09:47 AM   #10
dyzio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAMASHER View Post
Is there a reason you are just skirting the edge of the Alps? Best riding in Europe. Off season in the Hotels etc. All the really high passes open. (Not so even in late June)
Well, yes and no...
The two first days we would be doing 500 miles each day (Scotland-Dover, Dunkirk-Lyon) , so I wanted to take it easy after that (200-250 mile days).
Other than that, I don't know the area/routes at all...

Hmm.. say you're somewhere around Lyon and have 2-3 days riding to get to Nice area, what route would you suggest?