SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-08-05, 08:37 PM   #1
tomsmith

Default Help Bike wont start

Hi, I am in a bit of a pickle. I left my ignition on, on my SV650. I completely ran the battery flat, to the extent where no lights or anything came on. I recharged the battery, and was expecting it to start. However the engine just turns over, but does not start. I checked with another battery from another bike and the same thing happened. So i know its not battery, or fuel. I also opened the choke and revved, i smelt the exhaust and i could smell petrol, so this leads me to believe there is no blocked pipes.

I havent had the bike too long but have probably done nearly 100 miles on it, and it always started first time. I hadnt been out in the wet, so dont think it could be spark plugs. Someone mentioned to me that if u leave the ignition on it can burn some circuits out, however this sounds a little far fetched....

Has anyone experienced this or know what i could do.

I would be very graetful. Thanks
Old 11-08-05, 08:42 PM   #2
WelshWop

Have you checked the engine kill switch?
Old 11-08-05, 08:45 PM   #3
zx6man

wont turn over with kill switch off. Does it sound to be turning over quicker than normal?
Old 11-08-05, 08:47 PM   #4
zx6man

Possibly flooded due to start it too much...may need plugs cleaning and drying
Old 11-08-05, 08:48 PM   #5
tomsmith

no seems to turn over normally, just doesnt start. I have run the battery down twice just turning it over. I tried to jump start it but the wheel locks up (even if i try to jump it in second/third.) It is most perplexing, but as i am not much of a mechanic, probably something simple, which makes it more the worse....aarggh
Old 11-08-05, 08:48 PM   #6
Grinch

If I was you I'd check the spark plugs and all your fuses, just to be sure.
As if you can smell fuel and the engine is turning over then it sounds like you have no spark from the plugs. So take the one out under the tank first its the easiest and hold it agains the engine or something so it has a contact and you can see the spark. Make sure your not touching any bare bit else you could get a shock, then do the same with the front if it does spark. Though I would be surprised as it will run on one set of cylinders.
Make sure you check all the fuses... as you wouldn't like to do all that work and find out later it was a fuse.
Old 11-08-05, 08:52 PM   #7
tomsmith

Thanks for advice,
i have found the fuses under the seat, i believe there is a separate, main 30 amp fuse, any ideas where this is located??
cheers
Old 11-08-05, 09:07 PM   #8
zx6man

that is at the right hand sight when sat on bike, behind the black plastic side panel. If this was faulty, you would get nolights, or anything at all, so wont be that.
Old 11-08-05, 09:10 PM   #9
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6man
that is at the right hand sight when sat on bike, behind the black plastic side panel. If this was faulty, you would get nolights, or anything at all, so wont be that.
There is a single fuse that deals with just the start or something as I blew mine and it took me a while to realise it was that one... it was late and I had just bined the bike...
Old 11-08-05, 09:12 PM   #10
tomsmith

oh, bugger....
theres not a switch or anything that when battery goes flat u have to reset?