SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-12-05, 03:08 PM   #1
SV Ste

Default My bike wont start - why?

Hi guys.

Just wondering if any body can give me a diagnosis on poorly bike.
firstly it doesnt get used much all, so that is at fault also.

So i tried to start it last week and it was dead. it just clicked once and then nothing, altough i still got the green and red lights.

So i got my dad to charge the battery, put it on today and still nothing, but there was a lot of clickiing and the speedo & rev counters rose as i pressed the start button.

I then used jump leads from my car and it started no probs. left it running for a bit. But when i pressed the front brake or turned on the lights. the rev counter, mileage display died, the petrol light came on and the green light started flickering. let go of brake lever and all was ok no flickering, the rev counter and mileage returned.

I then turned of the bike and tried to start it. dead again.

Now before i go and but a new battery, is it possible that any other parts are goosed, eg rectifier.

Ps. does not have an alarm fitted so no battery drain.

Ps. its also going up for sale soon, so if anybody fancies a mint red 2002, 3000miles, Pm me.

Thanks
Old 01-12-05, 03:30 PM   #2
Brucey

Well those all signs of a bad battery but you could have charging problems as well suggest you check the voltage across the battery when you get it running again look for between 13 and 14.5 volts anything less and something is wrong.
Old 01-12-05, 03:52 PM   #3
anna
Mega Poster

might be the regulator that is causing problems and not getting enough charge to the battery.. check all connections first to make sure that they are okay and no rust etc.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 05:46 PM   #4
valleyboy

Sounds like something could be shorting, causing the battery to discharge, and then play up when you turn anything on.
Old 01-12-05, 07:33 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

First off assuming the battery has been charged properly - and I think we can, it's not rocket science - and if it now exhibits the symptoms you describe, then it's buggered, get another one.

I wouldn't start out assuming the reg/rec was duff just 'cos the battery is shafted, they aren't known for their durability it's true, but fix what's obviously wrong first, the battery, then check charging afterwards.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 07:51 PM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Mine did the same things as you describe, clicks wont turn over, speedo and rev counter needles moved round dials.

Mine was caused by a flat battery, the reason why the battery was flat was because it wasnt charging as the rectifier was dead.

Personally I would follow Sid Squids advice, get yourself another battery and then try again.

Also if you are leaving your bike for long periods of time without using it, then you might want to think about investing in an "Optimate" if you can get power in your garage, then you can plug the battery into the optimate whilst its still on the bike whilst you are not using it and the optimate will keep the battery charged.

The lights flickering when you pull the brake lever could be a short somewhere I think, have a look at the wiring loom, its known to chaffe on the frame.

HTH good luck getting it sorted.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-05, 08:23 PM   #7
SV Ste

Cheers guys

yet again you lot come up with some top advice. I'm going to get my mate to charge the battery with his optimate, then try that.
If it doesnt hold a charge or start then im off to get a new battery.

I spoke to a friend before who thinks the flickering may simply be not enough juice to power all the lights, speedo, mileage readout etc,. the flickering is the speedo drawing power then crapping out and then there being enough power to light the neutral light. He reckons thats happeing quite often - couple of times a second! . Sounds good to me.

Anyway off to get the battery optimate'd. I'll keep you updated with the progress.

thanks for the replys