SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-03-15, 07:57 PM   #1
BigV

Default New clutch cable, adjusted and still not right - will I need a new clutch?

This damn clutch / clutch cable. Argh.

So replaced the old cable. It was in worse shape than I thought, so thankfully I did it sooner rather than chance it.

Tried the adjustment and had issues again like last time. Too much slack. Tried Anna's guide, but no pics makes it quite difficult. Then I remembered the replies I got on my own thread, and it helped. Checked it out and did as suggested, start at the lever end first. So unscrewed the lever adjuster out half way, and then fiddled with the bottom adjuster and got it working.

I can now change gears but its VERY clunky. Also, I now have no free play at the bottom adjuster and the lever adjuster is out 3/4. So its the same as my previous clutch cable scenario...again I am at the end of the adjusters pretty much.

Does this mean I need a clutch replacement, something else wrong?

One pic below is whats left of the play in the bottom adjuster (pretty much nothing).

The other pic is what it looks like after I fully pull in the lever and then let it go out. It doesn't go back flush with the lever casing. Also, you can see how much the lever adjuster is out.

Anyone have any ideas whats going on? Am I making some sort of noob error somewhere or is my clutch fooked? I am the second owner, no idea how the bike was treated before me...but starting to get a little concerned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch 1.jpg (120.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch 2.jpg (113.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-03-15, 08:18 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: New clutch cable, adjusted and still not right - will I need a new clutch?

You dont say if you have adjusted the actuator/worm gear bit at the sprocket end.Thats the nut/screw to the left of the spring in the pic.You need to do that before the cable or it wont work.
Old 08-03-15, 11:38 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: New clutch cable, adjusted and still not right - will I need a new clutch?

you have done what many many people have done before. you have got the spring retaining bracket in the wrong way. it should sit on top of the adjuster between the bolts and the adjuster (like a washer would).
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 10:13 AM   #4
BigV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
You dont say if you have adjusted the actuator/worm gear bit at the sprocket end.Thats the nut/screw to the left of the spring in the pic.You need to do that before the cable or it wont work.
Yeah I did, undid the lock nut, turned out the screw...turned in until resistance then out 1/4. Held screw in place and did up lock nut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
you have done what many many people have done before. you have got the spring retaining bracket in the wrong way. it should sit on top of the adjuster between the bolts and the adjuster (like a washer would).
I made a note of how it was attached before I started. I even looked at it and thought how odd that the spring actually doesnt line up and sits at a slight angle. When I undid the nut by the lever to get the cable out, I noticed some wear around the nut like someone had changed the clutch cable before. I can then only assume its previous owner did that job as a mech would have done it correctly I guess?

Great...now to take it apart there and try again.

Should I just clean it all out properly then and regrease it at the same time?

Last edited by BigV; 09-03-15 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-03-15, 12:50 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

just put the spring retainer in the correct place then adjust th clutch again and at the end stuff some grease down in between the gap where the bearings sit.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 01:04 PM   #6
BigV

Cool, thanks. Might only be able to get to this again on the weekend though