SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-01-14, 09:56 AM   #41
Fordward

Default Re: Police cause SV650 to crash...

If the CPS hold evidence against you that they intend to use in a prosecution, you are entitled to a copy in order to prepare your defence. That's probably how they got the video.

The bikes are not faultless, they were going far too fast for the conditions. The copper has probably been stopping slower motorists that way all day long, but as soon as the copper saw 90mph on the speed gun, he should have known they'd have real difficulty stopping and realised stepping out was a bad idea. Not only did he fail to think about the stopping distance, he didn't think much about self preservation either and put himself in a really dangerous situation. He's the one who is supposed to be trained in road safety. He created the hazard in this situation.

I can't say I'd have stopped any quicker or better than these bikes, but what I can say is if I were on the first bike, when I got close enough to realise the copper wasn't intent on actually getting in the way, and I wasn't going going to hit him, I'd have released the brakes and gone past him, then pulled a U turn further down the road. If during an emergency stop an escape route presents itself it's almost always safer to take it and let the bike roll and steer, than risk locking your wheels in a straight line. Also would have protected him from the bike behind.

The second bike will probably still get done for careless driving if they charge him with it, because he was going far too fast for the conditions and did fail to stop causing a collision. Once in court charged with an offence it actually doesn't matter anymore how stupid the copper was, the only thing that is under scrutiny is how well the defendant reacted to it.

Last edited by Fordward; 06-01-14 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-01-14, 10:21 AM   #42
ClunkintheUK

The copper is a knob.

Yes the bikes were going too fast, and deserve to be done for speeding. But causing an accident to stop a potential accident is stupid. The cop was hidden from the SV by the VFR at the front. It looks like the SV saw the brake light and let off the throttle at least (which at 9K rpm would provide quite a lot of engine braking) not realising that it was an emergency brake situation, untill he was right on him. The SV was still in the corner at this point.

In his (SV rider) situation I would be looking to extend my braking distance by going either side of the VFR in front (which is what I think he did) but then that bl00dy copper was dithering and getting in the way there too.
Old 06-01-14, 11:29 AM   #43
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch00 View Post
If it wasn't an officer in the way how about an animal like a pheasant or sheep?

Rider error.
True, however I would hope that policemen should have a bit more nous than sheep though, no?

Unwise actions on both sides.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 12:26 PM   #44
Mark_h
Mega Poster

The officer's actions were the trigger for the accident, not the cause. The cause was poor planning and emergency stop execution on the part of the second bike. The actions of the officer and the first bike contributed to it but did not cause it.

Well that's in my humble opinion anyway.
Aliquid prudentissimus delectabiles et intelligentes in adamasset lingua.
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 12:39 PM   #45
G
Mega Poster

Turns out that whilst not completely fake, or staged... it was being filmed as part of a road safety campaign that ironically went wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxiKQl7B2y8
Old 06-01-14, 01:10 PM   #46
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Turns out that whilst not completely fake, or staged... it was being filmed as part of a road safety campaign that ironically went wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxiKQl7B2y8
Was just about to post this too, i think we all suspected it wasnt just a genuine case, too many camera angles, poor copper position etc etc
Old 06-01-14, 01:14 PM   #47
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Apart from it being staged as it were, as it was the isle of man which much of it has no speed limits, were these guys actually speeding in the first place?
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 01:24 PM   #48
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulfi View Post
If you look closely at around 20 seconds in, you can see two people standing behind the copper and a camera stand.

I personally think the copper was a total idiot. No justice was served. I feel bad for the first biker. Looks like the second bike took his left leg out and that must have hurt.

I've heard tell that it was actually a road safety video gone wrong.

Allegedly that's a road on the isle of man?

EDIT: I see it's been noticed by others too. Funny how stuff that seems a bit funny, usually is.

Last edited by Spank86; 06-01-14 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-01-14, 01:27 PM   #49
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Speirs View Post
Apart from it being staged as it were, as it was the isle of man which much of it has no speed limits, were these guys actually speeding in the first place?
No they weren't as its on the mountain section which is no limit 24/7. I thought I recognised it when I watched it.

Normal road rules apply apart from national speed limits. Balls to the wall as they say. TT week its all one way so you can ride it like a track.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis

Last edited by Wideboy; 06-01-14 at 01:29 PM.
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 07:38 PM   #50
ChrisCurvyS

I thought everything looked decidedly retro. The bike salesman's trackie top would probably be illegal now.
ChrisCurvyS is offline   Reply With Quote