SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-01-13, 07:09 PM   #31
kiggles

Default Re: Average miles on an SV tank?

yellow light at 120-135 ish
empty tank 160-180

dependent on riding but for my commuting i get

yellow 130
tank empty around 180 i reckon, but i try not chance it past 150
Old 09-01-13, 07:26 PM   #32
PyroUK
Mega Poster

My bad guys, just checked the manual and it says its a 2 stage light, flashing starts at roughly 4l fuel remaining and solid at approx 1.5l fuel remaining.

That's for a pointy.
Old 10-01-13, 11:17 PM   #33
RavenWire

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Think it was just the K3 that was weird with a single stage light. Maybe.
The K3 is messed up lol Mine can't make its mind up, its on solid, then off. then back on briefly, then back off. this happens for a little while then it eventually stays on.

I fill up when its solid just to be on the safe side (usually means anywhere between 12.5 - 13L). Problem is, I'm only getting between 95-110 out of that fuel. Most of my riding is commuting through traffic, only 11ish miles each day to and from to work. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've put a new air filter in, new plugs etc and saw a slight increase but only seen 130-140 once out of a tank. I usually keep it between 3-5k revs so not thrashing it at all. My last tank only got about 88, but its been stood for a couple of weeks
Old 11-01-13, 12:40 AM   #34
Bibio
Mega Poster

depends on how much you put in. no point in saying i only get 100 miles to a tank when your not filling the tank to full.

to work out your mileage you need to keep receipts. then work out what you MPG is then multiply it by the capacity of your tank to find the range.

now the problem as stated at the start, what one person thinks is full might actually not be. pointys are especially bad for filling as there is a massive air pocket so you have to keep dribbling the petrol it in which takes an age at the pump and can be an extra 2ltr to what you think is full.

working out my mileage i get an average of 220 miles from a 17ltr tank. but have never ever done it and been well over the 220 mark a few times. but i always keep the 220 as a panic indicator.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-13, 01:32 AM   #35
RavenWire

I've done that, and it came out at anywhere between 33-39MPG. Pretty crap considering the amount others are getting. 12.5-13l gets me around 100 give or take then the light comes on and stays on (been worse over winter). What I'd do for a proper petrol guage...

I'll take into account the issue with the tank you raised though, next time I fill up I'll see how much I'm actually missing out on
Old 11-01-13, 01:46 AM   #36
Bibio
Mega Poster

going by your sig you have a pointy SV650. if that's the case then there is something wrong with your bike if you only get 33-39 mpg. even ragging it full throttle everywhere you should still see 45mpg easy.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-13, 12:20 PM   #37
Blueperson

Ravenwire your bike will use more fuel while it is cold and warming the engine up. If you are only doing 11 miles at a time it makes sense you are using more fuel than others as it will spend a lot of it's time in the enriched 'choke' state.
Old 11-01-13, 12:27 PM   #38
Mega Poster

I do 12.5 miles to work each way, mines usually at 81 degrees or so by about 5 miles into that journey, doesn't take that long to heat up to temp really
650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-13, 12:29 PM   #39
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenWire View Post
I've done that, and it came out at anywhere between 33-39MPG. Pretty crap considering the amount others are getting. 12.5-13l gets me around 100 give or take then the light comes on and stays on (been worse over winter). What I'd do for a proper petrol guage...

I'll take into account the issue with the tank you raised though, next time I fill up I'll see how much I'm actually missing out on
Oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plug changes should see you back to where it needs to be, on top of that it's probably your throttle bodies that need balancing? I'm no expert but those are the first things I would try
650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-13, 02:33 PM   #40
startrek.steve

I use an Android app called Fuel Log on my Car and Curvy, I regularly get between 68 - 72 mpg.

Steve