SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-03-14, 10:32 AM   #51
dkid

Default Re: Car hit my bike over - whilst parked in a M/C only bay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
If I was you I would be in touch with those police officers and asking them to investigate the incident with regard to Section 170 of the Road Traffic Act. Basically there is an obligation on the driver of the car to exchange details at the scene or report it to the police as soon as practicable, and in any case within 24 hours. It is simply not acceptable for them to give you details of the cars insurance without them making an effort to establish who the driver was. Just because they may not prosecute him for the actual crash doesn't absolve him of his responsibility to report the incident. If he has reported it, or they have spoken to him and established he was the driver, then you are entitled to his details.

RH.
So a quick call to 101 has given me the name and collar number of one of the officers who attended. He was the one who logged the check against the third parties car registration on the PNC. The logged entry has no other details on the incident such as driver name or whether he was identified/spoken to etc. so it looks like the officers haven't managed to wait around and speak to the driver after all.

I also asked 101 if the owner/driver of the third party car had reported the incident and there was no record of that either (we're now 48 hours after the incident) so it would appear that the driver has failed in his obligation to report the accident/damage within 24 hours.

I've requested for the officer who attended to call me later today when he comes on shift and I plan to ask him if he waited at the scene? if he saw/spoke to the driver? what are the drivers details (name & address)? if he will be investigating under section 170 of the road traffic act?

Am I getting this right? I really don't want to come unstuck on this.
I've passed on what I've got from the call to 101 to my insurance company to add a bit of weight to my claim.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-03-14, 02:27 PM   #52
Heorot

Dkid,

I am an insurance claims handler. From what you have said, I don't think that you need to concern yourself. Your insurer will be able to identify the TP insurer from the registration number and from what you said, it appears to be an open and shut case. They should settle your claim and they will then pursue the TP insurer to recover the cost of repairing your vehicle and paying for bike hire. They will not want to delay settling as the bike hire will be costing them. If the TP is not insured, that is their problem, not yours. Apart from the excess that you will have to pay if your insurers can't recover their outlay.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 02:47 PM   #53
dkid

Default Car hit my bike over - whilst parked in a M/C only bay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
Dkid,

I am an insurance claims handler. From what you have said, I don't think that you need to concern yourself. Your insurer will be able to identify the TP insurer from the registration number and from what you said, it appears to be an open and shut case. They should settle your claim and they will then pursue the TP insurer to recover the cost of repairing your vehicle and paying for bike hire. They will not want to delay settling as the bike hire will be costing them. If the TP is not insured, that is their problem, not yours. Apart from the excess that you will have to pay if your insurers can't recover their outlay.

Thanks mate, that's reassuring to hear!

You'd be a good person to ask for some advice on a slightly different subject that's got me slightly worried.

I've recently purchased one or two aftermarket bits, nothing major but I've not yet gotten around to declaring them as modifications on my policy. My aftermarket exhaust etc is all declared. Are the TP insurance company likely to want to trip me up on this or given the circumstances of the accident will they be irrelevant?

Btw, it's worth mentioning that none of the damaged parts are arftermarket bits. All parts requiring repair/replacement are oem honda parts that were standard on the bike.

Cheers

Last edited by dkid; 12-03-14 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 03:05 PM   #54
aesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkid View Post
I've recently purchased one or two aftermarket bits, nothing major but I've not yet gotten around to declaring them as modifications on my policy. My aftermarket exhaust etc is all declared. Are the TP insurance company likely to want to trip me up on this or given the circumstances of the accident will they be irrelevant?
They should be irrelevant to the third party in any case, after all they'd still be liable even if you had no insurance at all. Unless they want to claim that your aftermarket part caused the accident!
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 03:06 PM   #55
PyroUK
Mega Poster

When I claimed against a 3rd party for mine they didn't care about the mods that I hadn't gotten round to declaring like my exhaust. Don't know if that's the norm though.
Old 12-03-14, 03:10 PM   #56
dkid

My plan was to add them to my policy at renewal when it's due come May tbh.
I'm sure we all buy shiny things for our bikes and rush home to fit them. I doubt most of us are in such a hurry to get on the phone to out insurers though. It's one of those things you keep meaning to get around to...
Old 12-03-14, 03:38 PM   #57
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Yeah, and to be honest in the case of exhausts, for the pointy anyway, most aftermarkets are a lot cheaper than a stock one. Unless maybe you have a swish full race system or something.
Old 12-03-14, 03:38 PM   #58
dkid

Nah, just a yoshimura slip on but it's still £500
Old 12-03-14, 04:58 PM   #59
hindle8907
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkid View Post
I doubt it cause it was outside the city eye hospital. I don't know of to many life threatening eye conditions.

Having said that, maybe he was attending the eye hospital himself? Would explain a lot...
hahah that made me laugh , unlucky dude hope you get sorted.
2010-Now -- 00 SV650s & 00 SV650n & GSXR 600 K2

Last edited by hindle8907; 12-03-14 at 05:00 PM.
hindle8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-14, 04:59 PM   #60
Heorot

Dkid,

every insurer has their own rules on declaring after market parts.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote