SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-03-15, 07:01 PM   #291
Red ones
Mega Poster

Default Top Gear is back

James May decribes Clarkson being sacked as a tragedy? No it isn't. A plane crashing in to the Alps killing everyone on board is a tragedy. Clarkson being sacked is an inconvenience for him and would normally be described as Gross Misconduct in anyone else's contract!
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-15, 07:03 PM   #292
Spank86

Default Re: Top Gear is back

Although clarksons fate is probably closer to the original meaning.
Old 25-03-15, 09:51 PM   #293
theenglishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red ones View Post
James May decribes Clarkson being sacked as a tragedy? No it isn't. A plane crashing in to the Alps killing everyone on board is a tragedy. Clarkson being sacked is an inconvenience for him and would normally be described as Gross Misconduct in anyone else's contract!
Exactly.
theenglishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-15, 11:34 PM   #294
NTECUK
Mega Poster

BBC 2 top gear rip......
Old 26-03-15, 11:10 AM   #295
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Interesting that several TV channels or corporations have already come forward to say 'Yes he's very entertaining but we won't be offering him a contract'.

If they have a company policy of not employing a member of staff found guilty of assault on a colleague then that would scupper any plans.

We know Top Gear in it's current format is incredibly expensive to make and the BBC recoup all that via international sales, something another TV company may not feel they can do.

Also the people who actually come up with the clever ideas and make it all happen are not Clarkson, May and Hammond, it's the much ridiculed 'producers'. So unless a TV company are confident they could get all three presenters and the backroom team as a package then they aren't going to be able to easily replicate the Top Gear format. Plus there has been plenty of criticism that the shows have become increasingly repetitive and the cliches done to death. Perhaps the other big channels are thinking that they would not get the viewers they needed to make it financially viable, especially if the BBC are planning to continue with Top Gear with new presenters which might be just what the show needs anyway.
Old 26-03-15, 11:16 AM   #296
pookie

looking forward to the new presenters on the show .. preferably ones that arent dinosaurs. Although I stopped watching gadget show when they changed presenters and the format became more like Top gear.

The dynamics of the presenters do differentiate it from other similar shows.
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-15, 11:53 AM   #297
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
Although I stopped watching gadget show when Suzie Perry left .
Fixed it for you
Old 26-03-15, 02:09 PM   #298
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post

If they have a company policy of not employing a member of staff found guilty of assault on a colleague then that would scupper any plans.
Technically he hasn't been found "guilty" of anything..... There has been a BBC investigation into an incident and as a result of their internal report they have decided not to renew his contract, and I believe the police have asked for a copy of that report, but until he has a conviction at court I suspect anyone acting on what they have "heard" would be quite vulnerable should Clarkson seek redress. Why do you think the BBC didn't "sack" him.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-15, 03:02 PM   #299
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Technically you can't sack a freelancer, you can terminate or not renew their contract, which ends on the last day of March.
Old 26-03-15, 03:05 PM   #300
maviczap
Mega Poster

Strange timing, his contract is about to end, and he's involved in a punch up with a member of staff?

Spookey
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote