SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-03-08, 12:47 PM   #1
Paws

Default Up date on my accident

As a few of you know/remember i had a nasty accident in Sept 07 where my left leg was broken and sv was written off.

Well the driver who hit me admited blame straight away but it took 3 months for a letter from her insurers confirming it.

Last week i received a cheque for my excess which means she can't go back on her plea now, shes NOT going to prosecuted for undue care and attention etc, which is fine as i said i didnt want to take it further.

Off to insurance doctors today so they can start the compensation claim
Im a happy bunny again
Just need the payout for my kit and wages next!
Old 14-03-08, 12:48 PM   #2
Amanda M

Default Re: Up date on my accident

Excellent news Paws
Old 14-03-08, 01:47 PM   #3
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post

Off to insurance doctors today so they can start the compensation claim
!
Good news and all and glad you are ok etc, but that bit *****d me off, people claiming compo put all premiums up.

It anoys me in general the whole compo and blame culture we seem to live in.

I could have had a compo claim a few years ago when i was hit from behind in my car, but on pure moral grounds i did not as it will cost me in the long run whn insurance premiums go up.
Old 14-03-08, 01:54 PM   #4
Sosha

To be fair if someone drives into the back of you because they're not looking where they're going, breaks your leg & stops you working/ playing for a month plus, compensation doesn't sound at all unreasonable.... (?)
Old 14-03-08, 02:02 PM   #5
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
To be fair if someone drives into the back of you because they're not looking where they're going, breaks your leg & stops you working/ playing for a month plus, compensation doesn't sound at all unreasonable.... (?)
Not really to me, most companies have sick pay plans, and if you are stupid enough to have loans with out payment protection (if needed, i get paid unless iam dead) then you deserve what you get for your stupidity and recklesness.

And how is a few thousand going to give you back your time and enjoyment? its not, its greed pure and simple . If you are claiming for the cost of damaged kit then fair enough. But people claming for whiplash and other pathetic (and most the time made up for compo reasons) injurys really grip my s**t. Surely one of the reasons we have insurance is to recover these type of costs?? so claiming compo IMO most of the time is pure greed.
Old 14-03-08, 02:10 PM   #6
G
Mega Poster

I sometimes agree with seeking compo, and sometimes I dont it dpends on the circumstances of the incident......

An 'accident' is just that, if it was unavoidable then there is no blame, and no one to claim compo from.

If someone has been driving like an idiot with complete disregard for others on the road and shatters your leg, ruining 6 months of your life......then abit of money for the pain, boredom and loss of 6 months of your life is fair enough to be honest.

Edit: Glad your back on track Paws.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-08, 02:13 PM   #7
ASM-Forever

Neio i'm no fan of the compensation culture, but a broken leg is worthy of compensation!
Old 14-03-08, 02:16 PM   #8
neio79

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
I sometimes agree with seeking compo, and sometimes I dont it dpends on the circumstances of the incident......

An 'accident' is just that, if it was unavoidable then there is no blame, and no one to claim compo from.

If someone has been driving like an idiot with complete disregard for others on the road and shatters your leg, ruining 6 months of your life......then abit of money for the pain, boredom and loss of 6 months of your life is fair enough to be honest.

Edit: Glad your back on track Paws.

The only time i would agree wit hcompo being claimed is if it severly changed your life, as in disabled you, prevented you from going back to the same job etc.

Yes if you are put in a wheelchair by some clown then it would be fair in that case as its money to compensate you for the extra costs and hardships you will experience to carry on your life as it was before. or had such a severe break you could not do your job again, such as driver, police, or in my case if it led to me being medically discharged, then again its would be a case as its life altering.

But in the case of a simple break or a case of "whiplash" you should just be told to f*ck off.
Old 14-03-08, 05:04 PM   #9
kwak zzr

result! great news! well done paws
Old 14-03-08, 05:27 PM   #10
Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
result! great news! well done paws
+1

If someone hits me and causes me injury resulting in me missing work, I would claim compensation straight away. In most cases, sick pay is for a finite period so I would be left out of pocket by quite a considerable amount......how else would I be able to pay my bills?