SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 05-08-10, 06:41 PM   #1
Brettus

Default What I got up to today....

Well, when I say I, I actually mean Yorkie_Chris
a couple of weeks ago I won an ebay auction, had the item delivered direct to the SV Guru.

Finally saw it for myself today and its now fitted:

Yes yes I know its been done before but I'm still chuffed with it, GSXR 1000 front end.
The auction was collection only, so I had it delivered from Ipswich direct to YC for a very reasonable £23 by citylink. YC very kindly accepted the delivery, checked the braided lines for length with the TL1000 clipons I'd also ordered. Everything looked fine.

Headed out today re-enthused by the idea of it, had my chain and sprockets sorted yesterday along with new pads on the rear, then today the whole new front end grafted on!

As expected YC made the whole thing look easy! He sold me on the idea of it a month or so ago after I'd dismissed it as too much hassle. I'm glad I was convinced! I wasn't too sure of the suspension changes until I got on roads I was familiar with and knew what they used to feel like but the brakes are something else! had to use them on the motorway for queuing traffic and WOW, they are ace. Had no complaints (and still don't) about the stock brakes, they function well enough but these are just awesome in comparison.

the forks are a little worn and beaten in a few places but my bike is hardly a show bike and I've put pre-crashed bits on it before now the difference is pretty impressive though, I'm made up with the transformation so a big thank you to Yorkie Chris for his effort today and the prep work in the run up (despite being run ragged by Berlin and the wonderbucket!)

V pleased, one last shot of the complete bike:

Yes I know its a "bit blingy innit" as YC took joy in reminding me when I was saying I liked the gold
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 09:48 PM   #2
Bluefish

Default Re: What I got up to today....

mmmm, upside down, nice, suprised yc didn't paint them matt black. Nice job
Old 06-08-10, 05:01 AM   #3
mister c
Mega Poster

Nice one mucker, looks sweet
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 07:01 AM   #4
Specialone

Looks cool Brett, top notch
Old 06-08-10, 07:21 AM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

Nice top box

Only kidding
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 07:38 AM   #6
Brettus

Thanks guys, as mentioned it's nothing new but I'm really pleased. Was pondering going for a different bike but this has made the sv feel different again. Can't praise YC highly enough for how simple the whole thing was (from my point of view at least!)
Only part requiring a bit of free thinking was the speedo, normally the tried and tested method is to put some small magnets in the recess of the disc rivets, unfortunately mine turned up with some different discs, no rivets just plates to hold the outer disc in place allowing it a degree of movement.
No biggie though, some epoxy and hope later and they were stuck fast. Was a little uneasy at the prospect of no speedo as I suck at speed estimation but all is well, they set for a few mins and off I went home, testing the epoxy in the process, stuck fine with any luck they will stay that way but if not I can rectify by one means or another.

Can't wait to get out and ride it again now, might have to have a jaunt this afternoon while I'm still off work.

Hah that top box is awesome, it wobbles like a bobblehead and looks proper battle damaged (after I bounced it down the road after me one day by not locking it right DOH!)

The upgrade worked out really well as I noticed my front tyre is pretty much shot, the front pistons were going to need replacing before long, the pads were almost out, the hoses were due for renewal (at least according to suzuki, I know lots of people keep running them and just keep an eye on them) but out of the swap I got:
Better forks
Better brakes
A tyre with more life in it than the one I had
Reasonably new pads
Braided hoses already fitted

All in all I think it was a good value change
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:

Last edited by Brettus; 06-08-10 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-08-10, 05:50 PM   #7
tactcom7

Looks nice, i'll be interested to see if you have any handling issues with the thou' forks.

I put them on my curvy and it was tank-slap-a-plenty. Had the forks re-sprung for my weight but the bike was so light at the front it was still very twitchy. Meant to get round to fitting a steering damper but ended up breaking the whole bike to make way for the ZX-10.

Si
Old 07-08-10, 09:28 PM   #8
Brettus

Hmm will keep an eye on the handling, I think my weight is about right for them but will see, haven't pushed it yet, still getting used to the front end not sproinging up at my face when I give it some wrist! rather nice for it to stay well behaved.

I don't push it too hard ever though I think so might not experience much. Only covered a couple of hundred miles so far and most of that was motorway heading back from YCs so will report back sometime
Quote:
Old 08-08-10, 09:44 AM   #9
steveg

Looking good , nowt wrong with the topbox

Have thought about swapping front end and rear shock however prob just spend the extra towards replacement bike as had sv for 4 years and looking for a change and mileage is getting highish 52k

Cheers Steve

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 10:36 AM   #10
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Forks look fab, nice job there. Let us know how they work out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote