SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-07-05, 12:42 PM   #1
PhilS

Default So tell me all about these SV1000's then...

Hi all, new to this site as yet I don't have an SV.

So I wanted lots and lots of info... so I can make a balanced decision. I've just had a bit of an off on my VFR and it's gone to the great scrap yard in the sky. Now looking for a new bike and really don't know what I want. So I've been looking around and I see that the SV1000S seems like a good bet.

I've got a couple of reasons why...

1 I want a general purpose bike,
2 I want a bike that fits me,
3 I want a bike that my wife can get on the back of (occassionaly) without having to limber up for an hour first.....
4 Want a bike with some character
5 Somethign that wont cost me the earth....

So what can you all tell me about them, what do I need to be looking at on an 03/04 bike that is hot/not. One of my local dealers has an 04 model with 600 (yes 600) miles on the clock he is knocking out for £3999, is this good/bad? Honestly when I look around there aren't that many second hand ones around and I can't quite stretch to a new one. So your thoughts.

Also, whats the mpg like, this is after all the old TL1000 engine..... I rode a couple of TL 1000's and loved them.. yeah OK, still went down the VFR route though... yes and before anybody seize it old before my time!!! So I'd love something a bit more fun and with a bit more character. Any ideas on good (suppose that means cheap but reliable) insurance brokers....

I'm not going down the SV650 route (I know I'm gonna upset 80% of the community) as I've already run a CBR400, CBR600, Fazer 6, VFR8 and think I might end up screwing the ass off it for most of it's life.... also, being a light weight pie eating chip munching git it ain't going to have an easy time......

All, as you see I have loads of questions, but any good/bad things I should know before I buy would be useful to know about.

Thanks

Phil
Old 28-07-05, 03:30 PM   #2
bobbydee

Get a 1000 Fazer
Old 28-07-05, 03:44 PM   #3
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Phil

I don't have an 'S' I have a 'N' - but I do also own a VFR 800i (2001 'Y' Plate PRE-VTEC) & I'm certainly NOT old before my time - just wanted the best all-rounder in the world. . . . . . ever !!

There's no comparison between the SV & the TL - it's like comparing a 'road-trained' horse with a bucking bronco !! If you liked the TL because of it's 'kick you in the a**' attitude - you won't like the SV.

BUT, if you want a (slightly) 'softer' (more) refined, all round V Twin, then it's the kiddie for you.

As for pillion - well the wife is certainly gonna notice the difference between an SV & the VFR - 'nuff said on that subject !!

May I suggest that you also (if you haven't already) log onto www.sv1000.zyns.com where they deal purely with the SV1000.

As for prices - can't help you there - don't know anything about good or bad prices on the 'S'

I haven't heard of any major probs with the K3 / K4 bikes - don't think there is much difference between them other than the K4 was available in the dark 'Gixxer' type blue colour which the earlier ones weren't & the word 'Suzuki' on the tank was replaced by a single Suzuki 'S'.

Best of luck bike hunting - let us know how you get on / what you decide on
Old 28-07-05, 04:37 PM   #4
kwak zzr

i'd have one tomorrow if it was'nt for the ££
Old 28-07-05, 04:59 PM   #5
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydee
Get a 1000 Fazer
What on earth for? Comfortable yes, character no.

The SV1000 has excellent suspension and brakes (in a different league to the 650) and loads of low-down grunt, with a top speed that is more than enough for UK roads. Try one.

It's next on my shopping list.

Old 28-07-05, 06:13 PM   #6
Supervox
No more Mr Nice Guy
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Quote:
Get a 1000 Fazer
Couldn't have put it better myself !!
Old 28-07-05, 07:03 PM   #7
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Quote:
Get a 1000 Fazer

Have you riden one?!
Old 28-07-05, 07:20 PM   #8
stevewarbs

My Mrs says it's quite comfortable as a pillion...

...as long as I don't open the throttle or hit the brakes LOL

Bit tall if you're a shortarse and sounds like a sewing machine but both are easily fixed.

The punch out of corners is incredible. Quite often i just select 3rd gear and I've got incredible acceleration and the engine braking means brakes aren't required
Old 28-07-05, 07:32 PM   #9
kwak zzr

i test rode a k3 thou and it was brilliant! if i had more cash i'd have had one.it felt very simalir to the 650 just more go go go i cant understand myself why bike mags rate the 650 more than the thou? when i change the 650 it'll be for a big v twin prob a sv1000s or a tuono if they still made them it would defo be a TL1000S .
BUY ONE IT'LL MAKE YOU SMILE
Old 28-07-05, 08:18 PM   #10
daddy_sperm

This months issue of ride doesn't agree with alot of replys here.