SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-07-07, 05:26 PM   #1
2mths

Default Chain buffer removal requires swing arm removal :-(

I thought I'd have a clean up of the muck created by chain lube after a particularly hasty application of some yesterday and resulting mess.

On closer inspection I realised that there was a lot muck and whilst it probably doesn't matter I decided I wanted it gone. So chain guard came of and was cleaned. Front sprocket cover came off and is in the middle of being cleaned. I've done what I can in the area around the front sprocket.

I was hoping to remove the chain buffer (plastic bit between chain and swingarm) however having failed to see how to remove it I confirmed my suspicions by looking in the manual. You have to remove the swingarm to be able to remove it.

I'm not really inclined to remove the swingarm for the sake of tidying the bike up. That said are there any benefits to removing it? Ie is there anything in there that it's a good idea to check periodically?

Having had my directed down this line of thought I've read the pages in the manual about removing it. It doesn't look 'too' bad though far from a 5 minute job. The thing I can't work out is how to support the bike whilst you do it?
Old 09-07-07, 09:19 AM   #2
Ceri JC

Default Re: Chain buffer removal requires swing arm removal :-(

I've not had the swing arm out on my bike, but when I had the suspension out (which involves having the swing arm unloaded) I hung the back end of my bike from a beam in the garage. 500kg load ratchet strap from halfords was more than adequate and with a mate taking most of the strain of the bike it was possible to winch the back of the bike up. Hooks (with rags on them to prevent scuffing) went on the subframe. Front brake cable tied on to stop the front wheel sliding about, or ideally up on a paddock stand (or on a curvy I believe you can put a car jack through a hole on the engine?).

Alternatively, you could get a stand that includes a swing arm removal adaptor (I think these connect to the screw for footpeg/heel plate mounts?).

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along shortly, but these are some of the options.