SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-03-10, 09:24 PM   #1
kitkat

Default always worrying

Ive not been out on my bike for ages. Last couple of times I was out I did not particularly enjoy myself. I find myself constantly worrying about "what ifs". I know this is stupid and accidents can happen at any time doing anything. I dont know if its because Im old. or if its because Im a new mum. or a combination of the 2. or because Ive been off the bike for so long. Ive never had an accident so its not that

Has anyone else had doubts about biking for no real reason.

Im in two minds whether to just give up and get shot or keep trying to get out and hope I start to enjoy it. I was out in car today, saw a lot of bikes and didnt get the usually feeling of "lucky buggars I wish it was me". Think I may have outgrown my biker phase.
Old 21-03-10, 09:31 PM   #2
Sean_C

Default Re: always worrying

It's always in my mind, and I consider it a good thing. I ride around well within my limits, and enjoy going out cruising, pretty much. I've got too much to come home again for to ride around without any what-ifs.
Old 21-03-10, 09:37 PM   #3
mrs cuffy

Your not alone on that one as I feel just the same, but however I do have a reason as I wrote my car off 2 years ago and since then I over analyse everything I am trying to block my thoughts but its not easy. Was going to sell bike but went on a ride last Sunday and loved it. So I'm going to wait, go on few more rides and then see how I feel.

In your case I would like it's cause your a new mum and not your age, I'm sure you will make the right choice for you.
Old 21-03-10, 09:44 PM   #4
Gemaroo

I've not had massive doubts about it as such, and I'm not as bad worrying about myself as when I started riding two years ago, but I do worry about my partner riding (we learned together and did our test on the same day). We had two bikes but for some reason I was always really reluctant to go out riding with her, I think subconsiously I was worried about witnessing something horrible or having her witness me coming off. So much so that we've gone back to just one bike as it made no sense having two, as one was only ever used one at a time, apart from about three rides out!

If you're not enjoying it at the moment, you still may in the future. You don't have to make a final decision. Do you tend to use the bike for fun or as a required mode of transport? For the past few months I've really only been using the bike for commuting (getting hacked off with salt ruining parts) but now that the weather's better and I'm getting a new bike, I'll start doing it more for fun again.

Gem
Old 21-03-10, 09:52 PM   #5
thulfi

I know what you mean. I had two offs in the space of 9 months-ish and it made me reconsider. It's fair to say by the time I was out of A&E and back on my bike a few hours later I thought it would have to take a lot more than that to keep me away.

Having said that, I do have this annoying thing now where I think it's a case of 'when' the next time will be, and not 'if'. Not a good mind set to have, but on the bike these thoughts disappear. It's usually when I'm going to bed I wonder if tomorrow will be the day I get taken out by a bird or something worse. Perhaps I need to get through a good stretch of time without crashing.

Anyways, any thoughts you have will be natural, and the result of 'self-preservation', perhaps now more so with your new born child.
Old 21-03-10, 10:00 PM   #6
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs cuffy View Post
Your not alone on that one as I feel just the same, but however I do have a reason as I wrote my car off 2 years ago and since then I over analyse everything I am trying to block my thoughts but its not easy. Was going to sell bike but went on a ride last Sunday and loved it. So I'm going to wait, go on few more rides and then see how I feel.

In your case I would like it's cause your a new mum and not your age, I'm sure you will make the right choice for you.
Well kitkat did this a few months ago which hasn't helped...

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=145283
Old 21-03-10, 10:01 PM   #7
fenjer

I'm the same KitKat...

Not been out on the bike since December, and I'm petrified that in the meantime something will have "gone wrong" with it while it's been sitting in the garage. I just need to bite the bullet and get out there I think.

I'm a mum too, so I always try to ride sensibly and well within my limits.

I hope you get back out there, and do enjoy it again though.
Old 22-03-10, 12:53 AM   #8
Specialone

Yot're not alone, I have 'what if' thoughts every time i pull on my gear, i think that will never go away either.
I even think to myself, will i be home tonight? Suppose its good to realise how vulnerable i / we are.

Phil
Old 22-03-10, 01:08 AM   #9
Amanda

Yep!! It is a nightmare to be honest and does hold back my riding.

My worst is roundabouts at the moment.......

What if
... theres gravel, a pothole, a drain cover
... car doesn't see me, pulls out, brakes
... going too fast, too slow, not enough lean, too much lean.

Chris' answer is look up and get going!! Yeah Easy
Old 22-03-10, 01:25 AM   #10
barwel1992

have no what iff's at all i just get out and ride