SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-06-21, 05:31 PM   #131
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Veg Plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i have a robot grass and hedge cutter.. its called my neighbour
Ya sweet talking ****e ya. How'd you arrange that?!
Old 26-06-21, 11:23 AM   #132
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Ya sweet talking ****e ya. How'd you arrange that?!
in my little part of the street we all get along with each other. my next door neighbour asked if he could do it many years ago and he has kept doing it ever since, i have said that he does not need to but he does. this same person also cuts a few of the other peoples hedges and the bowling green grass, hedges and maintains things there as well.

i spray the weeds twice a year and put the buckets out every week. one of the other neighbours brings the buckets back in.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-21, 12:00 PM   #133
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
in my little part of the street we all get along with each other. my next door neighbour asked if he could do it many years ago and he has kept doing it ever since, i have said that he does not need to but he does. this same person also cuts a few of the other peoples hedges and the bowling green grass, hedges and maintains things there as well.

i spray the weeds twice a year and put the buckets out every week. one of the other neighbours brings the buckets back in.
What a street That's how it should be really!
Old 28-06-21, 07:06 PM   #134
redtrummy

Just an update re my no dig bed. Its been very successful up to now. The lettuce are the best in the garden. I left a couple of shallots in the no dig the rest planted in the existing garden. They look just as good as each other. The beetroot in NDB are looking really good, soon be ready for harvesting.
On the main plot, where appropriate I now compost then put cardboard down and plant through the card.
Cuts down on weeding which I detest.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-21, 07:57 PM   #135
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Just an update re my no dig bed. Its been very successful up to now. The lettuce are the best in the garden. I left a couple of shallots in the no dig the rest planted in the existing garden. They look just as good as each other. The beetroot in NDB are looking really good, soon be ready for harvesting.
On the main plot, where appropriate I now compost then put cardboard down and plant through the card.
Cuts down on weeding which I detest.
Pleased to see the no dig approach paying dividends, good for you for sticking with it.

The weeding is something I don't mind, especially if it's hoeing. I find it quite relaxing really.

We've done quite a bit of planting through cardboard here on these beds I'm working with at the new place. Where possible I've added a layer of mixed soil and horse manure and planted through that. There wasn't enough compost ready here to build up the beds to a no dig level this year, but I've made composting as much material as possible a priority now ready for next year.

There is a very large veg growing area here spread over 12 beds, all of varying sizes. Some of the smaller beds I mulched with a thick layer of horse manure as soon as I started working them, so next year they may be ready for the no-dig approach. The rest may take a couple of years to build up.

Last edited by garynortheast; 28-06-21 at 08:01 PM.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-21, 08:39 PM   #136
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Two more of the Scarlet Tiger Moths have turned up on the veg plot here. They're a male and a female and they are mating, so we may see more of them next year.

They're not supposed to be found this far north in Wales but a number of people in the area have seen them over the last few weeks. I suspect it's something to do with the changing climate and resulting weather.
Old 30-06-21, 09:32 PM   #137
thedrewski86

I'll play, just because my soil is a bit different from what most are dealing with. I have only had luck here with my date palm, queen palms and various succulents, although our young pomegranate tree seems to be doing well. Here's my latest attempt: nopales catcus. Now let's see if I can figure out how to link from Google photos...

The flagging is to keep my dog from marking them. He likes to "claim" anything that decides to protrude in the yard; he's a very discerning mutt.

Last edited by thedrewski86; 30-06-21 at 09:35 PM.
thedrewski86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-21, 09:38 PM   #138
thedrewski86

Actually, I had good luck with the roses this past Spring too. They've gotten less enthusiastic what with the 110-degree heat this Summer, but the plants are still healthy.

thedrewski86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-21, 07:51 AM   #139
shiftin_gear98

You might need to try reposting those pics, as none are showing when I look at it.
Old 01-07-21, 07:56 AM   #140
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Nope, can't see the pictures I'm afraid Drewski.