SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-08-22, 02:44 PM   #1
guffers_hump

Default Tyres for 1999 SV650 for first time rider

Hi,

This will be my first big bike and it probably needs retyring. It has some Maxxis tyres on atm but they are old and even though they've never seen the light of day I reckon probably a bit past it.

What would people recommend, I don't want to break the bank but don't want a set of hedgefinders. My riding style will probably be big A roads and B roads but not very often in the rain (still want grip if I'm caught out), may also have a pillion on the back.

Would Bridgestone Battlax BT46's be any good?
guffers_hump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-22, 03:39 PM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tyres for 1999 SV650 for first time rider

This is a very subjective question since we are all opinionated. I don't think there are any "bad" tyres on the market. So, your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffers_hump View Post
Would Bridgestone Battlax BT46's be any good?
I'm sure they will be fine.

I buy Avons. My initial reason was that they are made in the UK although owned by Cooper Tires, a US company. I then discovered that the Avon Storm 3D X-M seem to live up to their claim of long life - I get about 12k from the rear but, weirdly, less from the front. My Yam has Michelin something or others and they seem fine, too, but I'll fit Avons when it's time following my initial reason above. I should point out that I seldom ride in the rain which may bias my viewpoint.

I got very uneven front tyre wear with Bridgestone BT19 (I think) but I'm sure that was me running them at too low a pressure, so operator error.
Old 02-08-22, 07:59 PM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I've used the Pirelli Diablo Stradas and then the successors to them which are the Pirelli Angel ST. It's still possible to pick up a pair for around £150. They seem to suit the SV very well, with nice handling characteristics, and excellent grip wet or dry.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-22, 09:22 AM   #4
guffers_hump

Ok thanks for the info. Will do some research.
Old 03-08-22, 11:39 AM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

Michelin for me, the latest version is the Road 6 but I'm on the Road 5 and they can now be had for noticeably less than the latest version. As bang for buck the 5 will probably be a perfect choice, the 6 hasn't been out that long so 5's won't be particularly old stock as such.
I find them excellent in all conditions, the most significant aspect for me is that they are pretty much neutral, you just don't really think about them, they are there and do the job so well. The front lightens the slow speed steering compared to other tyres (Pilot Road 4 etc).
I do minimal miles on the SV, but on my NC700 I've done over 10k miles touring on the rear and it's still looking good, probably get near 15k from it, front similar and I'm sure I'll change them as a pair.

If you don't do all that much mileage, just consider that a set of tyres will probably last 2 or 3 years for you, so resist the temptation to save a few quid and live with something not ideal for all that time.

Last edited by embee; 03-08-22 at 11:41 AM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-22, 11:51 AM   #6
Seeker
Mega Poster

Told you! 3 posters and 3 opinions.
Old 03-08-22, 06:43 PM   #7
Ruffy

Tyre choice is always an 'opinionated' matter.

IMHO there's some usual info in this very recent vid (only 7 mins - not an exhaustive test but it covers some decent general theory. He's Canadian so some decent parallels for UK climate. Also, 2 of the 3 tyres covered have already been mentioned in this thread so some consensus may already be forming )

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-22, 07:39 AM   #8
guffers_hump

Ahh FortNine, top vids.
Old 10-08-22, 08:11 PM   #9
EssEllTwo

I can give you a what's not good, IMO - Michelin Pilot Road 4's. My bike came shod with a very unworn set of these. I took it up to a bike Rally in Derbyshire in July but I found the tyres lacking. they are fine in a straight line and on well surfaced roads. But as soon as there are slight imperfections I could feel them stepping out from time to time and certainly did not inspire confidence to push hard. I'll be glad to try something else when these are done.
EssEllTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-22, 05:46 PM   #10
Toooldtodie

Michelin Pilot 5s. Have a pair on mine and very stable. Lots of rubber available even at knee down levels. Wear well, resistant to squaring off, grip really well, neutral feel. Just (in my unlucky experience) prone to picking up punctures.

Saw courier who carries blood to hospitals in all weathers and they had PR5s.

Last edited by Toooldtodie; 10-10-22 at 05:47 PM.
Toooldtodie is offline   Reply With Quote