SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 27-12-20, 12:17 AM   #31
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Michelin Road 5

I've found it gives me more control coming out of corners and getting on the throttle, probably as the tyre is spreading a bit more under load and giving slightly more grip. They feel like you can add grip by stressing them a bit, either accelerating or braking. They also soak up more of the road imperfections that would otherwise mess with control. A bit like an added extra to the suspension, but not in a way that feels anything like suspension. Not squidgy or wallowy.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-20, 12:30 AM   #32
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I've found it gives me more control coming out of corners and getting on the throttle, probably as the tyre is spreading a bit more under load and giving slightly more grip. They feel like you can add grip by stressing them a bit, either accelerating or braking. They also soak up more of the road imperfections that would otherwise mess with control. A bit like an added extra to the suspension, but not in a way that feels anything like suspension. Not squidgy or wallowy.
Sounds good.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-20, 12:48 PM   #33
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I've used Pilot Power 2CT's the last 8 years or so for that very reason. The carcass and ride-ability of the tyre is/was unrivalled on any other tyre i tried. It looks as though they have now managed to blend the Power range with the Road range and give a perks of each.
I never used the Road range before as i never heard they were that good in the dry if/when you were pushing on.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-21, 12:30 AM   #34
embee
Mega Poster

I have the Road5 on 3 bikes now. Two things really struck me when I first started using them. First they are very supple and absorb road roughness or grainy surfaces much better compared to other tyres (PR4 etc), and second somehow they've made the front steer much more easily at very low speed (walking speed) which make trickling along in traffic extremely easy.
So far the wear patterns have been pretty even, definitely a very nice tyre to ride.
They are easy to fit (soft carcass) and grip better than I could ever use, wet or dry.

Last edited by embee; 25-01-21 at 12:31 AM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 03:58 AM   #35
Calix Lee

I haven't tried to run it on my bike before but upon checking Google it has great reviews.
Calix Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-21, 12:25 PM   #36
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
I've used Pilot Power 2CT's the last 8 years or so for that very reason. The carcass and ride-ability of the tyre is/was unrivalled on any other tyre i tried. It looks as though they have now managed to blend the Power range with the Road range and give a perks of each.
I never used the Road range before as i never heard they were that good in the dry if/when you were pushing on.
I did end up getting a pair of these fitted just after Christmas, but obv due to the weather and lockdown not used them much.

So far they've been good and i'm happy with the decision i've made. Will see how they go when we are finally allowed to go out and play. At this rate they'll last me through my upcoming June trip!

BMW F800ST
Old 06-03-21, 01:53 PM   #37
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
I did end up getting a pair of these fitted just after Christmas, but obv due to the weather and lockdown not used them much.

So far they've been good and i'm happy with the decision i've made. Will see how they go when we are finally allowed to go out and play. At this rate they'll last me through my upcoming June trip!
I was going to get some in time for winter, but the lockdown made that irrelevant, so need yet.

I've heard so much good about them, but I really don't like the aesthetics of the tread pattern, is it just me?
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 06:37 PM   #38
DJ123
Mega Poster

The tread pattern does look peculiar as it looks like a cross of a road tyre & a trail one as it has large drainage gaps.
I would say it looks better in person though as you can see the outlined shape/details better of the drainage gaps.

BMW F800ST
Old 01-07-21, 07:50 PM   #39
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Only got 4k miles from my rear this time. Most of the tyre still looked fine but the very centre was right on the wear limit.
Possibly due to having a bigger rear sprocket fitted now. Not sure.

Got a new one fitted now. The bike is at 21,500 miles.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 03:25 PM   #40
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Only got 4k miles from my rear this time. Most of the tyre still looked fine but the very centre was right on the wear limit.
Possibly due to having a bigger rear sprocket fitted now. Not sure.

Got a new one fitted now. The bike is at 21,500 miles.
shock needing a service?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote