SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-01-21, 11:09 AM   #9031
SVSte

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Stuck in indoors Snow and fog this morning cant even use the bike roll on spring.
Old 01-01-21, 12:33 PM   #9032
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
I'm in the middle of doing a camper conversion, I started November last year with buying a van. It's probably about 50% done but I have most of the stuff to get it to 90% done, need to buy a sink/hob and foam for mattress and seating then it's just time to finish putting it all together.
I think by the end of it I'll be about £4K into it and that includes buying the van
I’ve been trying to get a reasonably priced van for a while, in the past 12 month I’ve seen the prices Rocket before my eyes (needless to say I’m still vanless ) . It’s as you say , covid/brexit camper conversions and also stupid Instagram goons.
My boiler guy bought a brand new transporter about 12 months ago, he says it’s now worth more than he paid second hand - and I believe it .

What van did you go for?
I’ve struggled to find anything under 5k that hasn’t been shagged into obliteration by tradeys and then given a polish and marketed after catastrophic mot failure/clocking.
Old 01-01-21, 12:35 PM   #9033
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Also dirty dog , that’s crap, if you’ve a cancellation I could do with a hand with a kitchen in Yorkshire .
Believe it or not I’m still doing this never ending bathroom
Old 01-01-21, 12:59 PM   #9034
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I’ve been trying to get a reasonably priced van for a while, in the past 12 month I’ve seen the prices Rocket before my eyes (needless to say I’m still vanless ) . It’s as you say , covid/brexit camper conversions and also stupid Instagram goons.
My boiler guy bought a brand new transporter about 12 months ago, he says it’s now worth more than he paid second hand - and I believe it .

What van did you go for?
I’ve struggled to find anything under 5k that hasn’t been shagged into obliteration by tradeys and then given a polish and marketed after catastrophic mot failure/clocking.
2nd hand car prices are nuts too. i think mine, i bought in August is probably worth more than i paid for it - can't get many of them now and they're all up for bigger money.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 12:29 PM   #9035
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
2nd hand car prices are nuts too. i think mine, i bought in August is probably worth more than i paid for it - can't get many of them now and they're all up for bigger money.
That's not good for me, if I can't find a van I may need a car soon
Old 02-01-21, 01:13 PM   #9036
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:

What van did you go for?
I've given up looking for a van at the moment and sticking with the mk7 transit for now. I'm hoping once the extended ulez or what ever it is in London later this year will mean more people getting themselves Euro 6 vans will mean more 2nd hand vans on the market.

How big is that bathroom you're doing??? Lol. Yorkshire is a tad too far for me unless of course you want to put me up in a hotel
Old 02-01-21, 01:54 PM   #9037
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
That's not good for me, if I can't find a van I may need a car soon
I'd bookmark a few you like and keep an eye on the prices of them. Usually the next price drop would be near March/April with the new reg's, but i don't think that'll happen as a good majority of people's daily Car needs has changed.

BMW F800ST
Old 02-01-21, 01:55 PM   #9038
DJ123
Mega Poster

GOTD - the standard of driving. It reminds me why i try to avoid being on the roads (car or bike) during the day. I seem to spend more of my driving time/ability avoiding eejits who are either trying to crash deliberately, or are so unaware of what's going on they don;t realise the carnage they're creating.

BMW F800ST
Old 02-01-21, 03:43 PM   #9039
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
I've given up looking for a van at the moment and sticking with the mk7 transit for now.
Everybody and their dog is after vans now, with increase in home deliveries, even Royal mail are short of vans, our post used to arrive about lunchtime, but past 6 months or so was arriving about 6 in the evening, spoke to our postie and he said the Royal mail had them working morning and afternoon shifts due to shortage of vans, and we were on the afternoon route.....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 03:49 PM   #9040
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
GOTD - the standard of driving. It reminds me why i try to avoid being on the roads (car or bike) during the day. I seem to spend more of my driving time/ability avoiding eejits who are either trying to crash deliberately, or are so unaware of what's going on they don;t realise the carnage they're creating.
The more automation fitted to vehicles ( some newer cars even have semi-auto steering that will try to keep you within white lines ) the less attention 'drivers' pay to surroundings. The Tesla autopilot is a good example, no matter how many times people are told that autopilot is a glorified cruise control numpties still drive hands off watching a video. There should be only two types of car - fully manual control or fully autonomous ( don't hold your breath for the last one, it has all gone awfully quite and a lot of companies have pulled out, Uber pulled out just recently ). The in-between semi-autonomous are never going to be safe as drivers get lazy and distracted.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote