SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-01-21, 07:51 PM   #81
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
If there are only 2 companies in Yorkshire doing this work does that mean J & J Crump ,the company who did my cavity wall insulation , falls into the latter category ?!
ps they did use an adhesive sprayed in together with the plastic beads to keep them in place.
pps Potential settling and leaving gaps or falling out of holes was an accepted problem with loose fill mineral wool cavity wall insulation.
pps I do have a concern with cavity wall insulation stopping at first floor ceiling level in cold roof situations. The gable wall to the roof space doesn't need to be filled for thermal insulation purposes, but if they don't take the cavity insulation up to roof level it leaves a bridge across the cavity for moisture to cross to the inner leaf ! In that situation a cavity tray and weep vents is really required.
oops ,sorry, wrong forum.
Yeah, I think it was them who I didn't want to use them based on the reviews https://www.yell.com/biz/j-and-j-cru...abbot-7145903/

I've just had a quick look and can't find the map I saw in September. There might be more now.

Nevermind wrong forum, I'm very interested in that! I'm just doing a gable ended loft conversion with a cold roof, was planning on doing insulated render
Old 16-01-21, 12:44 AM   #82
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Yeah, I think it was them who I didn't want to use them based on the reviews https://www.yell.com/biz/j-and-j-cru...abbot-7145903/

I've just had a quick look and can't find the map I saw in September. There might be more now.

Nevermind wrong forum, I'm very interested in that! I'm just doing a gable ended loft conversion with a cold roof, was planning on doing insulated render
External insulation (insulated render) is a different situation. The clear wall cavity will continue up to the verge- there won't be any insulation to bridge the cavity. However, your new loft conversion can't have a cold roof ! It will need to be a warm roof insulated on the roof slope, which has its own special requirements .Correct construction details are important.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-21, 10:16 AM   #83
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
External insulation (insulated render) is a different situation. The clear wall cavity will continue up to the verge- there won't be any insulation to bridge the cavity. However, your new loft conversion can't have a cold roof ! It will need to be a warm roof insulated on the roof slope, which has its own special requirements .Correct construction details are important.
Architect specc'd it with a cold roof, me and the roofer have raised eyebrows. Thanks for that, will address today!
Old 16-01-21, 05:36 PM   #84
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Architect specc'd it with a cold roof, me and the roofer have raised eyebrows. Thanks for that, will address today!
The existing might be a cold roof (with level insulation at first floor ceiling /loft floor level) but roof space has to be warm if changing it to a habitable space by a loft conversion.
Shouldn't really comment without knowing the full/specific details but the architect should provide drawings/construction specification showing the proposed construction details for building regulations approval.
I would ask the architect to clarify the proposed roof and external wall construction details.
ps the architect in this case is probably referring to it being a cold pitched roof where the insulation is between and under the rafters as opposed to a warm pitched roof where the insulation is between and over the rafters.
Whichever it is the sloping ceilings in a loft conversion obviously have to be insulated.

Last edited by svenrico; 16-01-21 at 06:40 PM.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-21, 03:55 PM   #85
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Looking at gridwatch UK website - the wind turbines have contributed hardly anything to grid since last Friday, round about 2%. Where is all the carbon zero energy gonna come from to power the expensive leccy vehicles - what a way to run a country !

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-21, 09:01 PM   #86
redtrummy

What about the solar farms SV? Its been cold but great big sunny blue skies! But yes, it is a little precarious relying on the elements. I wonder if the Fusion vision will ever become a reality.
redtrummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-21, 09:27 PM   #87
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
What about the solar farms SV? Its been cold but great big sunny blue skies! But yes, it is a little precarious relying on the elements. I wonder if the Fusion vision will ever become a reality.
Solar gives power for a few hours a day

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 23-04-21, 10:26 AM   #88
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Nothing more than 5% of grid requirements from wind turbines since Friday 10th April, Solar has improved and reaches above 20% for about 8 hours a day. but without a cloud in the sky from dawn to dusk that is to be expected. Still almost totally reliant on gas and nuclear for most of our electricity supply - bring on the all electric houses and all electric cars.....

Old 23-04-21, 10:35 AM   #89
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Nothing more than 5% of grid requirements from wind turbines since Friday 10th April, Solar has improved and reaches above 20% for about 8 hours a day. but without a cloud in the sky from dawn to dusk that is to be expected. Still almost totally reliant on gas and nuclear for most of our electricity supply - bring on the all electric houses and all electric cars.....
Yes true, I see the issue with renewables as having a tracker electricity tariff I follow the supply and prices. Prices are high due to supply squeeze brought on by the lack of wind this month. But the source of the electricity is actually not relevant to running an electric vehicle....
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-21, 10:40 AM   #90
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Yes true, I see the issue with renewables as having a tracker electricity tariff I follow the supply and prices. Prices are high due to supply squeeze brought on by the lack of wind this month. But the source of the electricity is actually not relevant to running an electric vehicle....
That is like saying that drilling for oil is of no relevance to providing Diesel and petrol ( and medicines and road building materials, paints and lubricants etc. etc. etc. etc. ) - to make electric cars fulfill their promise to save the planet the electricity they use has to be carbon free - the problem is with subsidies is that the windfarm owners make money whether or not the wind blows, so with no wind and their turbines not wearing out they are still quids in, and guess who is paying ?

Last edited by SV650rules; 23-04-21 at 10:42 AM.