SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

View Poll Results: Which of the following are you?
All my kit is fully compliant 31 57.41%
I have a non compliant plate 3 5.56%
I have a non compliant visor 7 12.96%
I have a non compliant exhaust system 13 24.07%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-04, 08:25 PM   #1
Nick762

Default Plates and stuff Poll

First off, I've been following the public enemy thread with interest but as far as I am concerned, if the plate is readable then fine but there are some real **** takers and looking at some of the micro plates about, I don't know why they bother putting fitting them. While I'd be mightily ****ed off if my bike/car was involved in a hit and run and witnesses could not identify the offending vehicle because its plate was unreadable, I don't think having a small plate automatically means you ride like a nutter BUT many nutters have small plates.

I'M NOT POINTING FINGERS OK!

How often do you see a suped up hatchback with dark windows, dodgy lights, dodgy exhaust and dodgy plate, six up with no seat belts on the inside lane of a motorway at 69.5 mph? It's almost a competition, how many construction and use and traffic offences can you find on one vehicle?

I think (not think, know, especially if it is quiet) sees a bike with small plates and says "Why does that person think they do not need to comply with the law that 95% of the population are willing to go along with and if so, what other rules and regulations may he/she be flouting? Lets give them a pull and find out" After all, the plate is probably the most obvious sign when seen from following patrol car, of a non compliant machine, visors and cans need a closer look. Cars and bikes alike, it may be a fishing expedition on the part of the police but other offences are often disclosed that would not otherwise have come to light , no tax, drink driving, stolen vehicle, unregistered sex offender... Stopping vehicles is a fruitful occupation.

If you have non compliant plates, how many here also have non compliant visors and cans?

If you can add some feedback on how often you get pulled (particularly if you are in the first group) and in what circumstances e.g. were you pulled for speeding or for dodgy plates/cans etc. I'm wondering if there is any pattern.

For the record, I am one of the boring ones (at the moment ) and I'm almost disappointed that I haven't yet been pulled by a bike hating copper. I have my speech all prepared "Bin driving 25 years blah blah... never been stopped.. blah blah...six days on a bike been pulled five times.. blah blah.. harassment of decent citizens blah blah.." You get the drift.

The floor ladies and gents is yours....

Edit: SH*TSH*TSH*T my first poll and the last category is missing (I have two or three non compliant items) and I forgot to set the duration
Old 11-05-04, 08:37 PM   #2
chutz

Default legal

My bike is completely legal because if I get stopped and done for infringing the rules I will kick myself. I personally don't see the point in small number plates because to me the legal one is simply a number plate and making it smaller makes it no more appealling to me. If people want them , fine.Aslong as you can read it from the regulation distance, no probs.If they get done for it though they knew it could happen when they fitted it. To me the cons outweigh the pros.

Exhausts are a different matter. I like them
Having said that I'll still go for a road legal one as I believe some give that deeper sound that I like and are still Plod friendly. I still think they can be too loud even though I personally like the sound.

In short, I choose to remain legal coz I don't want the hassle of being pulled but if people choose to go the other way it's up to them but they know the risks.
Old 11-05-04, 08:37 PM   #3
DeeJay

you really need a visor and zorst one... and a visor/zorst and plate one....
Old 11-05-04, 08:48 PM   #4
Nick762

Yeah, I did add a last category covering two or more of the above but it doesn't seem to have appeared. Is there a limit to the number of questions you can ask? Can't seem to edit the poll once it's posted
Old 11-05-04, 10:10 PM   #5
Ed

I'm a goodie two-boots
Old 11-05-04, 10:14 PM   #6
RenamedMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick762
Yeah, I did add a last category covering two or more of the above but it doesn't seem to have appeared. Is there a limit to the number of questions you can ask? Can't seem to edit the poll once it's posted
You need to press 'Add option' on each. So effectively the last option will be blank. Make sense? Edit and give it a go.
Old 12-05-04, 10:06 AM   #7
CRONOS 2

I've got 3 different sizes of plate for my bike depending on how I feel or where I'm going. If I'm going to an area I know to be heavily policed then I use the legal plate. But to be honest I much prefer the 9'x3' plate, not because I'm trying to avoid being caught, but because it looks more in proportion with the bike since I cut the numberplate bracket right back. The digits are still perfectly readable, just slightly smaller.
Old 12-05-04, 10:11 AM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

I have a plate that is legal size however, the spacing isnt correct(Its personalised). In my eyes, it dont take the ****, however it is illegal. I used to have a 9x3, which i got done for.

As for the zorst...well *ahem*

Dark visors. I have a visonary insert for my arai, and a tinted pinlock for the shoei.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-04, 10:14 AM   #9
Anonymous

Im fully compliant...... apart from I currently have a trimmed plate without the requisite borders and am about to get a slightly smaller one, I have a mirrored visor, and am about to fit a can with removable baffles which I shall remove. Apart from that I have never done anything wrong.
Old 12-05-04, 10:25 AM   #10
Nick762

Bog!

Can't seem to edit the question options once it's been submitted but I guess that would distort the poll if you start changing the options once people have started responding.