SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-11-05, 09:47 AM   #1
Yarodia

Default Gear Position Sensor

I found this http://www.bluegauges.com/gearindicatorplans.htm I have wanted to make one of these since I got the bike and now I know how Only problem is that it needs to be wired up to the Gear Position Sensor, and it says on the site "I believe most Suzuki models 1996 and up have one" is this true and if so does anyone know where it is?
I want to fit it to a 2001 S model.

If I can make one i'll post up a tutorial when it's done
Old 11-11-05, 01:26 PM   #2
haggis

It's built into part of your ECU, I think. Don't have my manual at the moment to check, but the ECU needs to know 2nd and 3rd to do the retarding in those gears. You'll have to chop one up to do this mod and I imagine if you did the cheap delimiter mod then this guy's idea won't work. I could be wrong.

Do give us a progress report.
Old 11-11-05, 03:29 PM   #3
svpilot

Hmmmm,

This is interesting

I'm a pcb designer, I could knock up a proper PCB for this. Using a company such as www.pcbpool.com I could get a few made quite cheaply.

Hmmm I'm off to look at that circuit...
Old 11-11-05, 04:59 PM   #4
haggis

It wouldn't take a genius to convert that into a 7 segment display which would be better as a readout. Maybe add a rev bar display in the same unit, then it would be perfect.
Old 11-11-05, 05:24 PM   #5
Brucey

I would not bother with that old circuit its very crude as it doesnt put out the previous gear light so in sixth gera all leds are on same fro neutral I did a better design using three LM339s which works a lot better.
Or better still use a Pic chip if anybody is interested I can supply a pre programmed Pic to do whatever you want Seven Segment or seperate Leds.
And this wont work on a non Fuel Injected SV650 as the GPS is differant.
Old 11-11-05, 07:42 PM   #6
Yarodia

I havent done TRE trick on mine, and not that bothered about it really, although if someone could come up with a better circuit incorporating one i'd go for it

svpilot, that's a cool idea. Some help on this would be great as I was planning to just bump my way through, anyway i'm willing to use my bike as a test subject, so if you get any ideas just let me know

I thought about the 7 segment display, but I personally want the LED's. I'm going to cut into the dash and mount the unit behind with the light's sticking through like so...

Like I said any help would be greatly appreciated, so keep the replies commin, and thanks to all who've replied so far
Old 12-11-05, 06:21 AM   #7
neuone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey
I would not bother with that old circuit its very crude as it doesnt put out the previous gear light so in sixth gera all leds are on same fro neutral I did a better design using three LM339s which works a lot better.
Or better still use a Pic chip if anybody is interested I can supply a pre programmed Pic to do whatever you want Seven Segment or seperate Leds.
Brucey, could I get a copy of the schematic with the LM339s? What kinda of output did you use? I found this:

http://www.gear-indicator.com/catalog/agora.cgi

and this:

http://www.geartronics.co.uk/suzuki.htm

but I don't want to pay $140 US or more... and I like having little projects.
Old 12-11-05, 08:09 PM   #8
Yarodia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey
Sorry for being stupid but which models does that include?Is it just the 2003+ bikes that were fuel injected or did they introduce it earlier?
If it would work on a 2001 SVS i'll have one please
Old 12-11-05, 08:20 PM   #9
Carsick

FI came in on 03.
Old 12-11-05, 08:30 PM   #10
Yarodia

Bugger!