SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-05-06, 09:17 PM   #1
ianofbhills

Default Bike cuts out.... tip over position sensor how does it work?

Been having a few problems with my k4 cutting out particularly during heavy braking.

When it happens i get the red FI light on and no amount of thumbing the starter will bring the engine back to life. However if i turn of the ignition for only a few seconds and then turn it back on the bike will start up no problem.

I'm assuming that this problem is related to my tilt switch seeing as the bike restarts fine when it is stationary and upright and the fact that i have had to relocate my switch for fitting a gsxr shock.

I think my positioning of the sensor just needs looking at to cure the problem.

How does the tilt switch actually work?

Any tips for fitting it in a suitable location?
Old 03-05-06, 09:19 PM   #2
Speedy
Mega Poster

Do they have one then!?
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 09:22 PM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Do they have one then!?
Yes.

As for the question - the sensor has an arrow indicating the required orientation. Doesnt matter where it goes, just make sure it's up the right way.
Old 03-05-06, 09:24 PM   #4
Speedy
Mega Poster

Well,you learn something every day!!!
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 09:28 PM   #5
kwak zzr

where bouts this sensor then?
Old 03-05-06, 09:35 PM   #6
ianofbhills

The sensor applies to fuel injection models only and is located just infront of the battery. It is actually mounted onto the front of the battery tray but i had to chop that bit off to make room for the gsxr shock.

Its got upper written on the top of the sensor which i have fitted it so this is at the top but slightly canted forwards.

Gonna remount it so it sits level.

I thought the sensor would only cutout the bike if it felt the bike tip over to far on its roll axis but it also appears to cut out on its pitch axis too hence it cutting out under heavy braking for me.

Interested to see how it works tho?
Old 03-05-06, 09:38 PM   #7
kwak zzr

thanks i'll have a look for that.
Old 03-05-06, 09:42 PM   #8
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

I think i saw a pic of the unit on svrider. Nothing sophisicated. Just a metal ring on a 'U' shaped track, when the bike tilts it moves left or right and joins a circuit together.

If the unit is not fitted correctly it will not do anything when the bike is tipped over.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-06, 06:41 AM   #9
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianofbhills
The sensor applies to fuel injection models only and is located just infront of the battery. It is actually mounted onto the front of the battery tray but i had to chop that bit off to make room for the gsxr shock.

Its got upper written on the top of the sensor which i have fitted it so this is at the top but slightly canted forwards.

Gonna remount it so it sits level.

I thought the sensor would only cutout the bike if it felt the bike tip over to far on its roll axis but it also appears to cut out on its pitch axis too hence it cutting out under heavy braking for me.

Interested to see how it works tho?
The switch will only work on the bikes roll axis. Remember the switch has to be running left to right not front to back, as well as being pointed upwards (if that makes sense). Otherwise the problem is something else
Old 04-05-06, 10:03 AM   #10
ianofbhills

Moved the sensor from where i had it today and it seems to have cured the problem.

I had it tie wrapped left to right on the hinge on the tank a bit to loose and it looks like when i was braking hard the sensor was twisting forwards and backwards and being fooled into thinking the bike was tipped over. When i was stationary the sensor was returning to its level position and was able to be reset.

After doing a bit of research on sv rider forum i was pretty confident it was the TOS. Incidently if anyone else is having problems with the switch here are the symptons.

Bike cuts out and will not start again

Thumbing the starter cranks the engine but as long as the red FI light is on it will not start.

Red FI light flashing and FI indicated in the display.

Resetting it
As long as the Tip over position sensor is positioned correctly ie straight and level with upper at the top and it is working properly, switching off the bikes ignition and turning it back on again resets the switch and the bike will function correctly.