SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-10-18, 01:56 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default AL7 at 20,000 miles

My AL7 is set to reach 20k miles in the coming week and I've been reflecting on ownership.

I bought it Summer 2016 and immediately noticed a problem with its cold running, it was resolved by the dealer taking the dramatic step of replacing the entire throttle body assembly.

The only other issue was an occasional reluctance to start after a fill up, that problem fixed itself and hasn't reared its head in over a year.

I'm on my 3rd set of tyres, the originals only lasting a paltry 5k. I replaced them with Avon Storm and then again with Avon Storm 3d X-M which do seem to be long lasting. I've done about 7k on the current set and I'm less than half way through tread depth.

It's running on the original chain and going by the "pull it off the rear sprocket" test, the wear is negligible. Brake pads are original but will need changing soon, particularly the rear. Original battery, it goes on a tender in the winter since my rides are not so regular.

No oil usage between services and brilliant mileage on fuel.

Mods: mainly for comfort; seat rebuilt (at 300 miles!), Givi screen, DL650 handguards. Handlebar risers which required a DL650 clutch cable and I have Grip Puppies fitted over original grips. I fitted a Pyramid plastics hugger which broke and was replaced (by Pyramid) and then fitted a Red Fox one anyway. Perennial battle to stop front wheel spray - 7 different front mudflap variations until I accepted defeat although I am still running a fender extender and a longish mudflap attached to that.

Corrosion: can't find much, the gear change shaft lost its coating and shows rust in the winter unless regularly ACF50'd, a few bolt heads have lost their pristine look. I've worn the paint/anodising off the left hand bar weight (I rest my hand there, apparently). I ride throughout the year but at my discretion - I can avoid the wet and I usually wash it down if the roads are salty.

I've never kept a bike for so many miles, I usually change them at about 10k miles and I'm currently unsure what do next. I am fortunate that I have funds that would cover most bikes but being a tightwad I limit my expenditure. I have considered a bigger bike, I really like the Z900RS but I also know that, although I'm a slow rider, there are occasional madness moments and honestly, I'm happiest pottering around the country lanes at 50/60 which would be a waste of a big bike. Which brings me back to would I buy another SV and I've surprised myself because I would. I've never bought the same bike back to back before but I think I may well do it this time. The AL7 fits me that well.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-18, 03:23 PM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: AL7 at 20,000 miles

Same here, it really is a pretty good all-round bike. Because of being naked and lower geared it will stick with pretty much anything up to about 70 - I have ridden with bigger bikes and not felt at a disadvantage at normal speeds, and the truth is it ain't worth speeding these days. Seat could use a bit more padding but I can get both feet comfortably down and would not want to change that by making seat thicker.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-18, 03:47 PM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I replaced them with Avon Storm and then again with Avon Storm 3d X-M which do seem to be long lasting. I've done about 7k on the current set and I'm less than half way through tread depth.
Nice write-up, glad you're happy with it!

I've had Storm 3Ds on mine for just over 10K miles, the rear is nearly down to the wear indicators in the centre, it's probably got another 750 miles in it. Interestingly, the front has worn faster than the rear, the centre section is not on the wear indicators yet but the shoulders on both sides are very worn and it really needs changing. Happy with the grip and handling they give, and 10K is a decent lifespan.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-18, 05:05 PM   #4
Talking Heads

There's one bike which is stirring my curiosity just now, the new Royal Enfield 650 GT

I know, I know, its a 270 fake, but if it looks as good in the metal as it does in the review videos and if the price is right and if it proves to be reliable enough, it could be my next bike.

Would I buy another SV650AL7?
Definitely not.
Mudguards are a bad joke and there's too much plastic trim hiding poorly matched components.
Carrying luggage strapped to the rear seat has proven impossible due to absence of bungee hooks and a pillion seat that's just too small.

Apart from those minor niggles its possibly the best bike I've ever had.

Last edited by Talking Heads; 21-10-18 at 05:16 PM.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-18, 08:21 PM   #5
zsv650s

20k nothing for a new sv keep going.
zsv650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-18, 08:50 PM   #6
Red ones
Mega Poster

The last two SV I had did 99000 and 69000 miles. The latter is still going I believe.

To get luggage on the back use some webbing straps and either tie off to the sub frame under the pillion seat or make them off so they just sit under the seat. Kriega have videos showing how on their website.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-18, 11:55 PM   #7
Talking Heads

Too much of a hassle, I just want to plonk bag on seat, whap two bungees across it and ride off.
Don't want to be doing any seat removal or fannying around.
The seat isn't big enough and there's nothing to hook bungees on.
I got Rok Straps, but they're totally hopeless.
Instead I just sling my Lomo top opening dry bag (highly recommended) over my shoulder.
But I would much rather have the bag attached to the bike.
Got the official rear rack but you have to cut the side panels, so its never been fitted.

Last edited by Talking Heads; 22-10-18 at 12:00 AM.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-18, 07:47 AM   #8
shiftin_gear98

20k miles - I wish my bike had 20k miles.
If you like it so much just keep it and carry on riding it. It sounds like you look after it so it'll be good for ages and ages.

Mine (SK6) has 54,000 fairly neglected miles on her. I'm hoping she carry on a bit longer at least another year (11,000 miles) as I don't have funds.

However having said all that, if you can afford it why not.....
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-18, 08:06 AM   #9
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Great write up and a lot of my sentiments are the same.As this is the largest Bike I've had and coming from much heavier old Honda CX500s my 99 Curvy is a joy to ride.So easy to throw around and enough power for safe overtaking manoeuvres and good MPG etc.

I sometimes think I would like a 1,000c plus just for hell of it but as per OP's post the extra power would be wasted on me and the roads I like plus more expensive running costs.

I'm still loving the fantastic,"Engine Braking" which is a joy
Old 22-10-18, 09:10 AM   #10
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Default AL7 at 20,000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Too much of a hassle, I just want to plonk bag on seat, whap two bungees across it and ride off.
Don't want to be doing any seat removal or fannying around.
The seat isn't big enough and there's nothing to hook bungees on.
I got Rok Straps, but they're totally hopeless.
Instead I just sling my Lomo top opening dry bag (highly recommended) over my shoulder.
But I would much rather have the bag attached to the bike.
Got the official rear rack but you have to cut the side panels, so its never been fitted.

Don’t pillion pegs still look like this?

Looks good enough for a bungee.
Otherwise Kriega is amazingly good simple and easy.

Much easier than seeing an osteopath.

Last edited by Stu; 22-10-18 at 09:12 AM.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote