SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-05-06, 01:35 PM   #1
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Getting the old girl in my pickup

Anyone got any top tips for getting my bike into the back of me pickup truck, and for strapping it down? The bed of the pickup is 2.1m and the bike is 2.5m long - it could go in straight with the tailboard down, or at an angle with it closed. What do you think?
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 01:52 PM   #2
Ceri JC

Have you considered doing it diagonally? Depending on the width of the truck, it might just fit. I'd put the bike almost all the way forward in the middle (say 2" in front of the front wheel) with the tailgate down then do the "pivot on the sidestand" trick to get the front wheel into the front right hand corner (and back wheel into back left) putting the tailgate up should then be possible.

Depending on what your truck's back end is made of, may be worth putting a sacrificial bit of wood under the sidestand before pivoting on it!

Let us know how you get on.
Old 08-05-06, 05:39 PM   #3
Razor

At an angle. You can't lock your tailgate open can you?
With the tailgate down and weight on it if you hit any serious bumps the tailgate could get damaged or dislodge the bike. DAMN VW CADDY!! I leave it at that.
Old 08-05-06, 07:03 PM   #4
Dicky Ticker

Our local bike dealer uses a Caddy to move bikes all the time [He has saftey chains on the tailgate] but most bikes fit diagonal across the body
Old 08-05-06, 07:16 PM   #5
Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmacsv650
[He has saftey chains on the tailgate]
Now you tell me
Old 09-05-06, 12:47 AM   #6
tinpants
Ubique

Hmm. Could you not borrow a bike trailer?
Old 09-05-06, 07:54 AM   #7
tricky

Get it in diagonally and shut the tailgate if you can, like someone else said get the front wheel as far into the corner as you can. If you have a tie point in the corner tie the front wheel to it.

Get some proper ratchet straps if you can (£10 from Halfords).

Put the bike on the sidestand and strap it down.
Bang it in gear and bungie the fron brake on.

My mate has a Nissan Navara King cab and we've had a CCM R30 in the back this method no problem. Hardest part is getting the bloody thing up the ramp!

Good Luck
Old 09-05-06, 08:24 AM   #8
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Thanks guys, will give it a go at the weekend. Truck is a Hilux so a bit sturdier than a Caddy, tailgate looks like it's made for jumping up and down on. Don't know anyone I could borrow a trailer from, also haven't wired the towing socket up yet....
Old 09-05-06, 08:37 AM   #9
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
Get it in diagonally and shut the tailgate if you can, like someone else said get the front wheel as far into the corner as you can. If you have a tie point in the corner tie the front wheel to it.

Get some proper ratchet straps if you can (£10 from Halfords).

Put the bike on the sidestand and strap it down.
Bang it in gear and bungie the fron brake on.

My mate has a Nissan Navara King cab and we've had a CCM R30 in the back this method no problem. Hardest part is getting the bloody thing up the ramp!

Good Luck
As Tricky said, but I'd add; put old cloths between the ratchet straps and the bike to help minimise any rubbing from the tie down straps on the paint/frame, etc.
Old 18-05-06, 09:47 AM   #10
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Must have boobed the measurements cos the bike went in fine. Made a 7' ramp out of two bits of scaffold plank side by side, and it went straight in, tailboard closed, and a few inches to spare. Didn't fancy the sidestand idea, have done it on ferries but think I might damage the truck bed, so went for straps on the fork tops and across the seat. Managed to go for a drive and get it in and out without destroying it!

http://ww.johnnyrod.co.uk/biketruk.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys