SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 22-10-06, 10:17 AM   #1
Sheila

Default Much a do about nought..or not???

Just thought I'd share my little mishap on Saturday with you all. Had a quick run into the city centre and back.. no worries aside from some jerk who found it amusing that I was struggling a bit to get my bike backward over the cobbles in the mid parking strip in George street... consequently I gave in to the anger (with a no.97 emoticon.. if you must know!) Not to mention some deliberate over reving of the engine as I finally took off.

Anyhow getting to the point.. I was back home now and parking the bike up. Just as I turned the front forks to the side to lock it I happened to notice a little bit of what looked like smoke coming up from down the left hand fork side and I could see it at the level of the handle bar. What the ....? Don't tell me my bike is on fire?? God what am I gonna do?.. where's Colinbal4 when you need him?? I ask??? .. Sorry m8 but the rumour has started already I'm sure!! And who's fault is that.. I wonder?? Kilted?!

Seriously but.. So I try to rationalise all this.. lets see the "smoke" is only very very slight and wait.. its been raining a lot lately.. is that really smoke or is it steam?.. Much sniffing.. and much looking at it.. oh okay its fine its only steam!! Phew! Mmm but still why steam up the front fork?? Further investigation finds there's a relatively large patch of water on the outside of the radiator..mmm Why?? Its as if someone chucked a cup of water on it.. Still having a blonde moment!! There was nothing wrong with the temperature when I was riding it.

Stranger in the street comes to my rescue .. are you okay he says? I'm thinking to self.. that depends who you ask.. but hey can you help?? So he has a look at it and says well maybe the water came from inside your fairing? Agh yes it could've collected in there in all that rain yesterday when I left it uncovered..( tisk tisk I hear you all say!! ) and then its spilt out onto the radiator as you've cornered. Yeah alright I think I can relax now. But if anyone thinks any different.. please shout?..
Old 22-10-06, 11:15 AM   #2
mattSV
Mega Poster

Hi Sheila

Doesn't sound like anything to worry anout. I have found that a hell of a lot of water seems to collect on the radiator fins from the front wheel - my SV1000 always steams a lot when I stop in heavy rain ,and when I put it on the side stand the water then just ****es of the radiator and leaves a puddle on the floor

HTH

Matt
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-06, 11:22 AM   #3
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV
... when I put it on the side stand the water then just p*sses of the radiator and leaves a puddle on the floor

HTH

Matt
That's just your bike marking it's territory. :P
Old 22-10-06, 11:22 AM   #4
Sheila

Are you sure????!! I've just gone downstairs to start cleaning it and that wet patch is still there and.. strangely there is a **** load of oil in the viewing circle I haven't even started the bike yet???? This is unusual!!! Now I'm really scared..
Old 22-10-06, 11:28 AM   #5
Law

I think your bike's ok. Just been out for a ride in the rain and when I stopped steam was rising up through the yoke area. Mine smelt a bit of Scottoiler protector spray......erm....pants....I haven't used that for a while....
Old 22-10-06, 12:40 PM   #6
Sheila

Another passer by who says he's an engineer says the water thats sitting on the front of the radiator tastes funny so could be coolant in it and if thats case then there could be pin hole in the radiator and hence water coming out. Also says I should be very concerned about large amount of oil being in sump like that especially since its cold. Goin to ring Cupar me thinks??

.....No answer..left message.. still stressing!
Old 22-10-06, 01:40 PM   #7
Blue Flame
Mega Poster

Have you looked at the water level to see if it is between min and max to determine if you are losing any

Previous >> K3 SV650S - Candy Copper;Lower Fairing Set;Fender Extender; Powerbronze Screen; HEL Braided Lines;
Blue Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-06, 01:43 PM   #8
Sheila

No its okay.. oil level that is.. just had to start the bike for it to shoot around the engine properly and with engineer m8 back at the scene again we checked the level after a few minutes and is fine. Still appears to be water leakage in radiator.. probably pin hole thats causing it. I know what ya thinkin.. oh what a drama queen.. but I love my bike and couldn't bare for anythin to go wrong with it.
Old 22-10-06, 01:55 PM   #9
Sheila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame
Have you looked at the water level to see if it is between min and max to determine if you are losing any
Good point.. well I'm really embarrassed now. Where am I looking for this level?? My manual doesn't seem to indicate where this is.. or am I just not reading it right?

Hang on.. coolant level is fine, and can feel water in the hose leading to radiator so seems fine. When you say water level do you mean coolant? Or is there another guage somewhere I am missing?
Old 22-10-06, 02:03 PM   #10
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Flame
Good point.. well I'm really embarrassed now. Where am I looking for this level?? My manual doesn't seem to indicate where this is.. or am I just not reading it right?

Hang on.. coolant level is fine, and can feel water in the hose leading to radiator so seems fine. When you say water level do you mean coolant? Or is there another guage somewhere I am missing?
There a coolant resevoir left hand side under the tank. you can see it through the frame. check level when upright.

HTH