SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-04-14, 12:21 PM   #11
CodeJACK

Default Re: Datatool removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix22 View Post
There is a way to disable them easily without removing the unit but obviously for security reasons won't give that information on a public forum.

Any chance you could send to me via PM?
CodeJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-14, 05:31 PM   #12
Phoenix22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeJACK View Post
Any chance you could send to me via PM?
Done
Old 23-04-14, 09:49 AM   #13
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Datatool removed.

I'm baffled by this, I've had alarms on my bikes for twenty years without one problem - not one. Never had a battery 'killed' by an alarm, never been stranded, never experienced anything other than normal operation of the system.
Now work wise alarm removals I have carried out many, then it becomes apparent that the battery wasn't flattened by the alarm but the existing electrical problem the bike had, or it's abuse - usually disuse.
I've also carried out many repairs where the owner has attempted to remove a perfectly functioning alarm; "before it causes problems" is the usual reason given, but screwed the electrics doing so. This is also blamed on the alarm - reason seems to be lacking something where motorcycle electrics and owners collide it seems.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-14, 10:08 AM   #14
muzikill
Mega Poster

My removal reasons were a shoddy install with a lack of insulation to protect it from the elements killed it. A insurance renewal showed little effect on the premium so it was removed and not replaced. Ive never compared other bikes but I find the weather protection in the rear end of the sv lacking.

I'd heartily agree that its a mix of bad positioning, installation and misunderstanding of the sv's rear fairing gaps that probably cause the issues.
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.

Last edited by muzikill; 23-04-14 at 10:11 AM.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-14, 09:08 PM   #15
admin
John T
Mega Poster

My reason is that the unit failed. I couldn't disengage it. Luckily I had setup a pin to override the key fob and I got home. A spare fob also failed to disengage, so it had to be the alarm unit.

I also found it made little difference to my insurance.

My main niggle with the alarm was the self arming. Damn nuisance at petrol stations having to engage 'ferry' mode to suppress it.

sent via fax machine

Last edited by admin; 11-05-14 at 08:16 AM.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote