SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-04-08, 01:27 AM   #1
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default 2006 R6 vs 2006 Daytona 675

Couple of people have asked, so I thought I would write it up. Not SV related at all, but I know people often move on to SS600's after the SV so it might be useful.......

I was going to do a write up on this after saturday, as I have now ridden both on the track.

At the moment, I prefer the R6 on the track! It's probably a little biased since I have had much more track time on the R6 than the 675, but out of the crate, the R6 has a better track setup. From my experience, I have pushed the front end on the R6 just as hard as on the 675 and it didn't let go. There are tonnes of little things that may have contributed - I probably should have dropped my front tyre's psi a little more for the track; maybe the tyres weren't quite up to temperature etc.

However, the R6's suspension felt a little more compliant; more fluid and able to deal with subtle bumps. Coming round Gerrards and hitting some of those mid-corner ripples for example and the front end didn't falter on the R6. By comparison, the 675 feels much firmer and less forgiving.

The geometry of the 675 is much more front-end heavy than the R6, which may have contributed to my low-side. Quite a few peeps (racers + trackdayer's) from the 675 forum have said the same and would highly recommend getting some suspension work done. They say that it is quite common for the front end to tuck without warning - which is what I found, whereas I could feel the front end's on both the R6 and GSXR-600 k7 slide a little - especially if I had overloaded the front in corner from running in too hot.

Where the 675 does eclipse the other 600s I have ridden, is the engine Coming out of turn 12 at Eastern Creek, I passed so many 600s (well ridden 600s) on the exit of the corner because of the torque and drive. Despite top end power being fairly similar, the grunt lower down meant that I would really launch out of the corner. A guy on a track prepped 05 R6 in my garage followed me for a bit and he couldn't get close on the exit, when picking the bike up and rolling on the power. The engine also sounds pretty sweet - especially if you are a twin fan. I have to admit being more a fan of a 17k screaming R6, but I think the triple sounds throaty and unusual.

Size-wise, the 675 feels bigger than the R6, but I don't think there is much in it. The seat compared to the tank is lower on the 675, so you feel more sat in the bike than perched on top like you did with the R6. Build quality, there pretty similar, though I'd probably say the Yamaha has the edge. 675 comes with a gear indicator in the clocks, which I don't use much on the road, but is great for the track. The lap-timer is much better and records splits on the 675, whereas the R6 just records the last lap only.

One last thing worth mentioning is spares - A lot more R6's are raced in the UK than 675's, so picking up cheap spares of ebay is much easier - something worth thinking about if you are planning on taking your bike to the track in road trim.

So, at the moment, the R6 has the edge, but I'd imagine that will change after a few more trackdays and this suspension work
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30

Last edited by lukemillar; 16-04-08 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Added intro
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-08, 06:34 AM   #2
gettin2dizzy

Default Re: 2006 R6 vs 2006 Daytona 675

Good write up
How about on the road?

I have to admit (quietly) that an engine screaming away at 16-17000rpm is intoxicating. As good as a twin sounds, it's just not the same at full chat.
Old 16-04-08, 07:26 AM   #3
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Good write up
How about on the road?

I have to admit (quietly) that an engine screaming away at 16-17000rpm is intoxicating. As good as a twin sounds, it's just not the same at full chat.
I'm not a big road rider to be honest and didn't really ride the R6 on the road and haven't been on the 675 either. I guess the same stuff for the track is applicable to the road. I would say that the 675's riding position is too focussed for the road - you have to adopt a racing crouch everywhere, otherwise your arms ache, whereas the R6 is more forgiving.

Both are about as bad as each other in town - terrible turning circles, fan comes on every 10 minutes, never really get out of 1st/2nd gear - but hey they're not meant for the daily commute or motorway mile munching!

Other things worth a mention - slipper clutch comes a standard on the R6. I would say I was one of the "I blip the throttle anyway" sort of riders, but dropping down from 3rd to 1st, I found the rear hopping about if didn't make very positive throttle blips on the 675. So, a slipper would be nice for a hurried downshift.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
Old 16-04-08, 06:05 PM   #4
Blue_SV650S

Nice write-up Luke

One comment would be that you say the 675 was untouchable out of the corner as it had more grunt 'lower down'.

So my question is - How 'on the boil' do you normally keep the R6?

Watching trackdayer vids on youtube I am always shocked by how few gearchanges are going on and the rev range used ... here is a perfect example .. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FdCUETLMlVI

When I was watching it for the first time, I was wanting to get hold of the thing and give it a learning!! You need to be up and down the box all the time on a 600! ... <sounds fx> wwwwwaaaaaaa waaaaaa waaaaaaa waaaaaaaa .... womm wommmm wommmmm wommmm </FX> ... I love that feeling

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 16-04-08 at 06:09 PM.
Old 16-04-08, 06:27 PM   #5
gettin2dizzy

I rev my SV more than that...
Old 16-04-08, 07:11 PM   #6
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
I rev my SV more than that...
Not dissing the bloke, he was certainly keeping pace with his group, so it is all good

Just using it as an example of a 600 NOT being kept on the boil!!

To get the best out of a 600 you need it to be 'on the boil' at all times! You let them revs drop too far and you are going to be lacking out of a corner!!
Old 16-04-08, 07:51 PM   #7
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S View Post

To get the best out of a 600 you need it to be 'on the boil' at all times! You let them revs drop too far and you are going to be lacking out of a corner!!
Tell me about it, you drop out of the power on my CBR and it feels like it's a 250LC at 3000 revs. Luckily it has quite a wide band where it makes decent power, but there's more fun to be had by ragging it up to the redline.
Old 16-04-08, 09:35 PM   #8
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Nice write-up Luke

One comment would be that you say the 675 was untouchable out of the corner as it had more grunt 'lower down'.

So my question is - How 'on the boil' do you normally keep the R6?

Watching trackdayer vids on youtube I am always shocked by how few gearchanges are going on and the rev range used ... here is a perfect example .. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FdCUETLMlVI

When I was watching it for the first time, I was wanting to get hold of the thing and give it a learning!! You need to be up and down the box all the time on a 600! ... <sounds fx> wwwwwaaaaaaa waaaaaa waaaaaaa waaaaaaaa .... womm wommmm wommmmm wommmm </FX> ... I love that feeling
I would always keep the R6 high up the rev range and always stirred the box! I guess you can be a little lazier with the 675 - one particular corner (very tight hairpin), I would drop it down to 1st, whereas Mr R6 rider in my garage said, he only drops down to second. Like I said - I'm assuming these were fairly competent riders, but maybe i'm just better at getting the power down and keeping the engine on the boil (non-bike specific) than I think I am! who knows
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30

Last edited by lukemillar; 16-04-08 at 10:08 PM.
Old 17-04-08, 08:33 AM   #9
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemillar View Post
I would always keep the R6 high up the rev range and always stirred the box! I guess you can be a little lazier with the 675 - one particular corner (very tight hairpin), I would drop it down to 1st, whereas Mr R6 rider in my garage said, he only drops down to second. Like I said - I'm assuming these were fairly competent riders, but maybe i'm just better at getting the power down and keeping the engine on the boil (non-bike specific) than I think I am! who knows
I think it is more likely they are no good!!
Old 18-04-08, 01:10 AM   #10
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
I think it is more likely they are no good!!
Fighting talk! Hop on a plane to Australia and I'll hand you your @ss on plate!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30