SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-08-08, 10:19 AM   #1
tonybmw92

Default Worm Drive

hello everyone

further to my newly installed clutch cable my sv cury got progressively worse in terms of not being able to tighten it at either end without it being really loose still so got it recovered to local garage and turns out its an issue with the "Worm Drive". so my question is . Has anybody had similar problems?. i have to wait until early next week now for them to get the part in stock then it will be around £40 for part plus lord knows how much for the labour!.

cheers
Old 14-08-08, 10:26 AM   #2
Grinch

Default Re: Worm Drive

Due to the location of the worm drive it tends to get alot of dirt and if not greased, and this dirt gets in with the ball bearings and the drive movement. Sometimes just stripping it off, cleaning and re'greasing with resolve the problem, but people miss because its behind the front sprocket cover. I myself have replaced them a few times on my own SV's and its a easy job that can be done yourself, as only 2 10mm bolts hold it on plus a tab to bend back. Just remember once its done to take some time and grease it now and again.
If your not sure its all in a Haynes manual, which is cheaper then a garage labour charge, though rubber gloves are a must as its dam dirty behind that sprocket cover.
Old 14-08-08, 10:28 AM   #3
jambo
Mega Poster

Last time I bought a clutch lifter with somone it was about £25.... (Couple of years back I grant you)

Jambo
Old 14-08-08, 10:29 AM   #4
Grinch

I don't know your year but for a 2001 model here is the parts diagram, its part 17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Last time I bought a clutch lifter with somone it was about £25.... (Couple of years back I grant you)

Jambo
Still not cheap.. I think I paid 30 quid or something.
Old 14-08-08, 10:37 AM   #5
jambo
Mega Poster

I'm out of touch, £37.76 from Robinson's Foundry.

http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/sh...rts/index.html

Jambo
Old 14-08-08, 10:40 AM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

I paid somewhere near the £25 mark from spares direct.

As said, it REALLY is easy to fit, REALLY easy. If Grinch can fit one, so can you.

Where are you based Tony as i think i have my old one lurking around in the garage somewhere (It turned out not to be the work drive at all)
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-08, 10:40 AM   #7
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
As said, it REALLY is easy to fit, REALLY easy. If Grinch can fit one, so can you.
Yep, as he said... if I can do it then so can you.
Old 14-08-08, 11:04 AM   #8
tonybmw92

Hi chaps im based in Orpington Kent but my bike is at a workshop in kings cross as the recovery vehicle (NCI) had to take it somewhere so i went for a firm called motorcycle servicing centre as i work at old street and there is nothing round here. link attached

http://www.londonmotorcycleservicing.com/

its been a right pain commuting again. I hate the tube and train hence the fact i ride a bike. whoops sorry its a 2002 curvy.

Last edited by tonybmw92; 14-08-08 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added info
Old 14-08-08, 11:06 AM   #9
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybmw92 View Post
Hi chaps im based in Orpington Kent but my bike is at a workshop in kings cross as the recovery vehicle (NCI) had to take it somewhere so i went for a firm called motorcycle servicing centre as i work at old street and there is nothing round here. link attached

http://www.londonmotorcycleservicing.com/

its been a right pain commuting again. I hate the tube and train hence the fact i ride a bike. whoops sorry its a 2002 curvy.
Seems that Old Street is the .org capital of London.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-08, 11:07 AM   #10
thedonal

Here's me with the silly question again- was the lock nut tightened properly on the worm drive?

I adjusted it last Weds before a trip to the coast- but like a fool, didn't tighten the lock nut properly. Got about 10 miles down the A3 and the biting point had moved right up to the handle bar. Turns out the lock nut was loose and the clutch arm was slipping, therefore making the cable slack.