SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 16-02-12, 12:11 AM   #1
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Random pics from a ride up north.

Cheers Mark
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-12, 06:22 AM   #2
BanannaMan

Default Re: Random pics from a ride up north.

Wow great pics there Mark!
Stunning scenery!
Thanks for sharing!

"The Mountains are calling and I must go"

BanannaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-12, 07:53 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

Damm you Mark

don't go showing people why we live up here, we will be over run by you shandy suppers

Devils looked empty apart from kids/parents after a bacon butty. I have yet to get up there this year. And no queue of 50+ bikes at Settle for fuel. (It was Settle?)
Old 16-02-12, 08:17 AM   #4
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Yeah defo settle.

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-12, 08:53 AM   #5
markc123

Nice photos. Really want to ride now, bring on the weekend when I get enough daylight to fix the damn bike.
Old 16-02-12, 09:14 AM   #6
Owenski

Nice little picture bio of some of the routes/stops up here.
Old 16-02-12, 09:52 AM   #7
missyburd

Nice snaps Mark, looking forward to the Filling Station writeup....although it looked shut the first time you got there on your trip, were you very early or late?
Old 16-02-12, 12:09 PM   #8
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

You wouldn't think that its winter looking at the pics
Defo like to see a write up of the routes.

Tim that was Settle

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyorkie_chris View Post
Nice snaps Mark, looking forward to the Filling Station writeup....although it looked shut the first time you got there on your trip, were you very early or late?
Yep same here!

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-12, 12:36 PM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

review already done Maria it's here.

was a good trip, the friday was quite mild although I did the 408 miles in the daylight, it was about freezing temp, but not much snow on the roads, I got to Newcastle just as the light began to fade, but my layers/heated grips and insoles did a marvelous job and I can honestly say I wasn't cold.

I had more of a tight schedule on the Saturday, so I came out of the premier Inn at 05.08am, it was bitterly cold, real cut through you stuff, dark and ice don't really go together that well and it made the going tough, but made it to Whitby, then down the coast road cutting in to the moors, here it just froze, the ambient temp re ading dropped to -11.4 and I was riding on sheet ice for a good while, the white of the snow on the moors and the ice on the road made it hard to differentiate between them at times, not to mention the buildup of ice both on the outside and inside of the visor, each time I removed my left hand from the bar muff to wipe the visor it was like holding a wet hand in the airflow, all my layers and electrics were at best just holding their own, at one point I hit a small bump at couldn't tell if the handlebar movement was from that or from me shivering!

I caught the start of daylight just coming off the moors and stopped for a while, grateful for the two flasks of coffee I had brought with me, just stopping out of the wind had me warm again in 15 minutes, so set off for York, pushing on I was trying to make Allerton Park (my appointment that morning) by 08.30am, but it'd been a hard morning already, so just coming out of York I found a little cafe and stopped for a fryup, recharged the batteries and ready to go again, got to the weight pull (Sam's dogs) at around 09.15am, the road to the farm was ice covered and that require a little concentration, turned off the engine and rolled down the hill the last 5-600 yards (didn't know if they had started yet and my engine noise could have put the dogs off), weird rolling over ice on the bike with no power, anyway got there and parked up.

Great morning watching Malamutes do what they are supposed to do, with a lovely couple of cups of tea thrown in to keep the chills at bay.

I write up some more a bit later.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-12, 01:09 PM   #10
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Are you sure you're not from Yorkshire Mark? You 'ard bastid.

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote