SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-08-05, 01:58 PM   #1
zunkus

Default Better light with HID Conversion Kit?

i was reading about an HID Conversion Kit made by Interpower in Performance Bikes magazine: "These are the best headlights money can buy. With no filament to break and less current drawn than your 55W bulb, these lamps are the first choice of world-class endurance racers like Phase One" - Quotes from PERFORMANCE BIKES magazine, July 2005 issue page 8

Any one of you guys tried something similar. Is it practically worth the extra cost over H4? Its £375 a pair.

More info on:
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=620
Old 17-08-05, 02:57 PM   #2
M.C.

my clio 182 has them and i must say they are a hell of a lot better than std bulbs
but you cant do it legally you need to have self leveling system and also head light washer spray or else it won't pass a MOT
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-05, 03:21 PM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

A cheaper option is PIAA Superwhite bulbs. £100 a pair. HID is great, but correct me if im worng, it dont cover Main beam? That uses a incendecent lamp/bulb??
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-05, 03:28 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I've got the PIAA bulbs in my car they are awesome

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-05, 04:01 PM   #5
Dan_SV

My mate has just fitted a full kit to his blandit 6. The lights are now excellent. His setup has one projector-beam for dip (the dip projector on blandits has a metal shield to make it dipped, and and another projector working in conjuction with the first (without a shield) for high beam (standard faired blandit set-up) As far as I know they should pass an MOT. But his is under three years old so I can't help you.

The shield in the dipped projector is fixed, it doesn't move up and down. I can remember him mentioning that they needed to have a different ballast to car type units so that they switch on and off quickly, in order to be able to dip quickly without the need for a mechanical shield.

I may however be talking utter shazz. I'll have a chat to him and see what I can find out.

Danno.
Old 17-08-05, 06:31 PM   #6
RandyO

as already posted, you lose one of your beams.. I just replaced my blown out stock bulb with an Ostram-Sylvania Silver Star, comparable to the PIAA Superwhite, but less money
Old 17-08-05, 10:09 PM   #7
falc

Yer I cant see the point that much, they use it one endurance races because they race at night needing a good view of the track and also not having the bulbs blow while going along at hair raising speeds.

While most ppl on their bikes usually ride during the day and just needs lights to warn other ppl and also navigate at night at speeds less than 100mph

save your money and buy some performance bulbs from powerbulbs or those PIAA ones Viney suggessted
Old 18-08-05, 05:11 AM   #8
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel
I've got the PIAA bulbs in my car they are awesome
For £100 a pair they should be
Old 18-08-05, 07:32 AM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyO
as already posted, you lose one of your beams.. I just replaced my blown out stock bulb with an Ostram-Sylvania Silver Star, comparable to the PIAA Superwhite, but less money
Randy, that is soooooo not the case. I run silverstars and they are no where as good as the piaas...sorry
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-05, 04:56 PM   #10
zunkus

The H4 kit has both replacement bulbs with low and high beam incorporated so you essentially can use only one if like me you only have one headlamp. If you have an SV650S you can either replace one bulb or both for super dooper lights! But I was assured that you can work with only one.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/search.php?mode=search

If my friend with a Honda Magna is interested I could buy the two light kit and split it with him so we could share the cost. You could do that as everything is double in the kit. Great eh. Pity it'll cost us £375 sterling though. The cheaper kits don't have the dual light (high / low) on each bulb. Hope this helps.