SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 23-04-08, 07:53 PM   #1
K

Default Oh mighty I.T. bods of the Org...

... I need a bit of advice.

Yesterday I tried to login to my online banking, only to get a page come up saying there was a problem with the site's security certificate - that it was either out of date or not yet valid, and it recommended that I should not proceed. the warning page is like Microsift's IE security centre/webshield/firewall doobry.

I go to login to eBay - same thing. Then Paypal - same thing.

I checked for viruses and trojans n stuff with a couple of things like Spybot - but they came back clear. So I shutdown the laptop, then tried again by typing the webaddress rather than just using my Favourites = same result.
Restarted the pooter and tried by simply Googling for the sites and going via links = same result.

All other sites I can access fine - it's just these three.

Tried again today = still problems.

This is all happening on my laptop wich is connected to my broadband with a little wireless magic bos .
BUT - if I use my housemate's computer, that is 'wired' into the broadband little box thing = everything is fine and I can access the bank, eBay and Paypal with no problems.

Help.

This is really annoying as I run my business through eBay. Do I ignore these warnings or not?
Old 23-04-08, 08:10 PM   #2
rick0361

Default Re: Oh mighty I.T. bods of the Org...

Are you using different web browsers on the two machines or different version s of IE.

I have a web server that when viewed from Firefox does not display this kind of nonsense but when viewed through IE7 complains about the site certificate and advises not proceeding to it.

Try another browser and see what happens

www.mozilla.com/firefox/
Old 23-04-08, 08:20 PM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Sounds like you are running IE7, which does this all the time with some of the websites I use internally at work.

Its really really fussy about security certificates.

As stated above try a different browser, if its OK on your housemates PC then it defo sounds like IE7 f*cking things up, thank you Microsoft another feature thats annoying that I don't want...

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-08, 08:23 PM   #4
the white rabbit

Is the date on your computer set wrongly in advance? if so it may 'think' the certificate is out of date. Something like this happened to me and that was the answer IIRC but I cant remember exactly.

I have just tested this and setting my year to 2009 brings up certificate problems, so thats worth a cheack as a basic maybe.

Last edited by the white rabbit; 23-04-08 at 08:27 PM.
Old 23-04-08, 08:25 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

If you post your bank details, user name and passwords on here, I am happy to try it for you!!

But seriously, as others have said, try D/L firefox (after having all sorts of IE7 problems, I use it all the time now).
Old 23-04-08, 08:34 PM   #6
K

Ah ha. Just tried it on Firefox (after having just downloaded it) and I couldn't access it from there either...

... however it did tell me why - it said the security certificate would not be valid until some date in 2007 and that my computer said it was Febuary 2006.

Reset the date and now everything is fine. Thanks guys.

So - next question - what little gremlin snuck in and changed the date on my laptop!
Old 23-04-08, 08:36 PM   #7
the white rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
what little gremlin snuck in and changed the date on my laptop!

This little gremlin by accident I suspect

Last edited by the white rabbit; 24-04-08 at 07:21 AM.
Old 23-04-08, 08:43 PM   #8
TEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
So - next question - what little gremlin snuck in and changed the date on my laptop!
Might be the BIOS battery, how old is the laptop
Old 24-04-08, 07:41 AM   #9
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by the white rabbit View Post

This little gremlin by accident I suspect
No. Not guilty. I may not know how the damn thing does it's strange magical technological jiggery pokery...

... but I know I didn't change nuffink.
Old 24-04-08, 07:44 AM   #10
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEC View Post
Might be the BIOS battery, how old is the laptop
It might be the what now?!
The laptop is only 16 months old, though it's my only computer so it gets used a fair bit (mostly from the mains) - probably about an average of 4 hours a day I guess.

Actually, thinking about it - that probably isn't that much use compared to you geeky types.