SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-04-06, 12:42 PM   #1

Default Official Parts....How Much??

We all know that original parts are expensive, we shrug it off as money grabbing manufacturers,

However, iv been thinking, take the stock air filter... Original price £18.61 + Vat,

Busters Price £12.50 inc vat...

now being a pattern part, its is by its very nature near as dammit exactly the same is it not?

so is it that suzuki generally have higher costs? they have a higher proffit margin? or what, surley if they make thousands of the dam things any way, they should (applying pricipal of cost reduction in numbers produced) be able to make them cheaper than pattern parts, sell them and still make a proffit?? so why dont they?

I for one will continue to buy pattern parts, and have never been dissapointed,

i just do not understand..... sure... plastic pannels are expensive, etc etc but consumables???

ho hum just one of those things in life i guess!!!

Venting thoughts after getting a quote of £45 for an air filter 2 plugs and an oil filter!! nearly £20 cheaper if u go pattern....tres bizzarree
Old 21-04-06, 12:49 PM   #2
Viney
Mega Poster

Pattern will always be cheaper than OEM parts, it goes across the borad, not just Suzuki.

Take my volvo for instance. OEM plugs are £25 a set, Halfords as an example, £15. HT leads £75 from volvo, Halfords £20. So its the same across the board really.

The extra is just so that the pattern manfacturers can stap thier company logo on thier product for them.

What i find hard is things like radiators. One on the SV is £325ish, my Astra, 10 times the size, £80.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-06, 12:56 PM   #3
lynw

Because the manufacturers make little profit in the actual sale of the bikes they put the mark ups in their parts.

There is seemingly no rhyme or reason to their pricing though - how clutch and brake levers are that much for original parts is beyond me.
Old 21-04-06, 02:08 PM   #4
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Because the manufacturers make little profit in the actual sale of the bikes they put the mark ups in their parts.

There is seemingly no rhyme or reason to their pricing though - how clutch and brake levers are that much for original parts is beyond me.
Wot she said.

I really don't think, once you factor in advertising, shop space, R&D, etc. Suzuki make very much at all on an SV650s sold for £4K. Where they do make it back is parts, accessories and servicing costs.
Old 21-04-06, 02:23 PM   #5
tomjones2

Wait till you see the price of an offical stock exhaust. I think its around £680.
Old 21-04-06, 02:47 PM   #6
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjones2
Wait till you see the price of an offical stock exhaust. I think its around £680.
About right, remember this coming up when Moriarty had his off. The reason his insurers put on a Renegade rather than the stock exhaust.
Old 21-04-06, 03:18 PM   #7
Halonic

if you want a giggle, go look up the price of a not-completely-seized, new rear brake caliper
Old 21-04-06, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halonic
if you want a giggle, go look up the price of a not-completely-seized, new rear brake caliper
already did that!!
Old 21-04-06, 03:52 PM   #9
Ceri JC

Quote:
Yes. The cash involved in my recent claim (still ongoing) is silly. About £1600, when I could fix it myself with pattern parts and an aftermarket end can for about £500. Still, I'd rather have official Suzuki bits on it, greater resale value .
Old 21-04-06, 04:04 PM   #10
tomjones2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Quote:
Yes. The cash involved in my recent claim (still ongoing) is silly. About £1600, when I could fix it myself with pattern parts and an aftermarket end can for about £500. Still, I'd rather have official Suzuki bits on it, greater resale value .
Same situtaion as yours, don't know if u rember but i was knocked off in germany in the summer. The final bill for parts was just under £2k for the various bits for a new front end, could have done the work myself for around £500-700 with parts of e-bay etc. If i had fitted the offical exhaust instead of the scoption it would have probaly wittern the bike off. How longs your claim been ongoing, 9 months for me . I'm beggining to think they have no intention of paying out as they admitted full liabilty 5 months ago.