SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-01-13, 11:48 PM   #1
LewSpeight
Mega Poster

Default What's my best option for HID?

I'm hoping maybe one of you guys can help me out with getting a HID with a halo in this:

Now I'm kinda looking for a step by step on what exactly to buy and how to make it work etc.
Now obviously there's no way of riding with just the sidelight on my Sv (06 nekkid) and ideally I wanna put a switch in so I get a choice of:
1) sidelight (halo and led's on the fairing)
2) low beam (with led's) and either halo or not, not fussed.
3) High beam with everything on.

I keep thinking I understand hid's but then something always comes up that confuses me.
If anyone can be a*sed then please help me
if it doesnt make sense tell me and I'll try again

LewSpeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 11:54 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: What's my best option for HID?

you will have to see if there is enough space to fit the lamp in that unit.

if you go for a projector you will have to separate the glass from the main body of the headlight.

if all is ok then you connect everything together and add a live/neutral feed to the battery.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 11:56 PM   #3
LewSpeight
Mega Poster

You're the man I was hoping would come along and read this post!

What exactly am I looking for? Like what dimensions and stuff, I'm pulling it to bits soon anyway to spray the black so I'm guessing I could do it all at once
Old 04-01-13, 11:59 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

what are you looking to fit. HID projector with angel eye or normal HID?
Old 05-01-13, 12:03 AM   #5
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

If you want HID it will have to be a projector unit because I think a normal HID bulb would melt that thing, and the beam pattern would probably be crap. Doesn't look like there would be room for two projectors so you'd need a bi-xenon single projector (with halo) for high and low beam. Not sure if you can buy a single one because most a designed for cars.
To have just the halo and sidelights on with no HID would mean wiring an additional light switch because headlights are always on on pointys. You could probably use curvy switchgear or similar which I think has an off switch.

Depending on what loom you get, you will probably have to alter it a bit to have a single light, and also to get the HID ballasts hidden under the tank or where ever you decide to put them
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-13, 12:11 AM   #6
LewSpeight
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
what are you looking to fit. HID projector with angel eye or normal HID?
Lance, this is where i get stuck. Am playing a complete n00b here, please explain the differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
If you want HID it will have to be a projector unit because I think a normal HID bulb would melt that thing, and the beam pattern would probably be crap. Doesn't look like there would be room for two projectors so you'd need a bi-xenon single projector (with halo) for high and low beam. Not sure if you can buy a single one because most a designed for cars.
To have just the halo and sidelights on with no HID would mean wiring an additional light switch because headlights are always on on pointys. You could probably use curvy switchgear or similar which I think has an off switch.

Depending on what loom you get, you will probably have to alter it a bit to have a single light, and also to get the HID ballasts hidden under the tank or where ever you decide to put them
Yeh i've been looking at the ballasts and stuff and im going with the 'stuff it wherever it'll go' idea. But yeh, im not over fussed about having two projectors, would look cool as fudge if i could though. And i was thinking about maybe wiring in a simple switch that would just turn off the projector whilst having it in 'low beam' setting, thus leaving the LED's and halo on. Not sure it'd work or not though!
Old 05-01-13, 12:16 AM   #7
musne

I agree with Darren.

A normal HID would give you a S***T pattern and would probably dazzle people left right and centre where is a projector kit like the one I fitted can give a nice distinctive straight "cutoff" of the light.

Again, as Darren said, you'll have to get only one projector as your headlight housing can only fit one by default, look on ebay for people selling single units for specific bikes.

The how to make it work part is not too hard but it's a lot of work if you want to keep all the wires tidy and tucked away somewhere not to be seen. It would be very simple +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve work.

The hardest part will be putting your headlight housing in the oven to melt the glue so you can remove the plastic lens from the fairing, in order to fit the H4 projector bulb, and bring the wiring around the other way.
Old 05-01-13, 12:20 AM   #8
musne

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewSpeight View Post
Lance, this is where i get stuck. Am playing a complete n00b here, please explain the differences?
HID projector with angel eyes is what I had fitted to my bike (have a look in the thread for pictures)

By projector, it means the big glass lens and it's plastic housing that literally act as a 'projector' to concentrate the light and project it in 1 direction at a certain angle.

HID projector is the same thing, but without the 'halo' ring.

Normal HID is a 'non projector' standard bulb. Same as the stock H4 bulb on point or curvy (and most other stock bikes and older cars)

Last edited by musne; 05-01-13 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-01-13, 12:21 AM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

normal HID is just like a normal bulb but instead of being a filament inside the bulb its more like a fluorescent light in that the bulb needs to be ignited to produce a light (this is whats in your common garden street light)

a projector is just an added optical device placed in front in a casing around a bulb be it HID or filament type to control the light beam.

to fit a projector housing inside any headlight you need to separate the glass from the casing as you can't pass the projector threw the bulb opening.

to fit a normal HID is just the same as fitting a standard bulb but has extra boxes and wiring to be fitted as well.
Old 05-01-13, 12:28 AM   #10
musne

This is what you need to buy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle...item415b315acc

All wiring + Ballast included ... However you'll need to buy some things separetly if you plan to switch of the main light completely while having the angel light (sidelight) still on.