SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-03-13, 07:17 PM   #11
otaylor38

Default Re: Sup.. I'm new..

Do you need to change the suspension? How much do you weigh? Going from a 125 to an sv, are you going to need the handling benefits right away? Id put up with the odd clunk when you hit a pothole if i was you. Id be seriously asking myself if your a fast enough rider to benefit in the corners?

Iv had the sv a year and i dont feel i need it yet, n i have my moments where i dont hang around
Old 30-03-13, 06:39 AM   #12
musne

Gosh. 2 grand for insurance.

That could pay for a lovely holiday in Barbados for 2 weeks.
Old 30-03-13, 11:16 AM   #13
Wildkid

He hasn't even ridden the bike yet and he's talking about suspension. One thing is it will be a hell of a lot better than the r125...
Old 30-03-13, 05:10 PM   #14
aesmith

Rather than immediately ditching the standard suspension and fitting bits off other bikes, why not get an R6 or GSXR in the first place?
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-13, 07:09 PM   #15
otaylor38

Something tells me this guy wont be restricting to 33bhp. I just get that feeling...
Old 30-03-13, 07:27 PM   #16
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Came here to ask if people genuinely still say sup but then saw the bike...

that's lovely!

RE. mods. finding insurance (at an affordable figure) is always a pain when you're young, with mods it's 10x worse. You won't necessarily be paying more because it's modified as such you just need to find the companies that don't 'rate against non-power mods'*

I'm sure there's a mod friendly insurance list somewhere. H&R I think I was with last year.

*the problem here is when you mention you;ve restricted the power (after the suspension mods) I've had insurance refused as it's a modification to power output regardless of the fact you're actually lowering the power.
There's no black and white with insurance companies and the people answering the phone know their products/rules and regs even less than the consumer.
Old 30-03-13, 07:32 PM   #17
aesmith

Can't see why restricting using the 33HP ECU should be an insurance problem. Does it even count as a "modification" if it's an optional part made by Suzuki for that model?
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-13, 08:26 PM   #18
a_monkey_hint

Did I read that correctly? £2000 insurance!? I think I'd rather walk...
Old 30-03-13, 09:04 PM   #19
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Can't see why restricting using the 33HP ECU should be an insurance problem. Does it even count as a "modification" if it's an optional part made by Suzuki for that model?
Yes, because it changes the bike from factory standard. You could say the same for a Suzuki hugger, belly pan, luggage etc etc. If you change something it is classed as a modification & should be declared to your insurer. Most mods don't up the premium by much. With the extra mods on mine (none of which are performance enhancing) it costs an extra £50-that covers end can, luggage (up to £500), tail tidy, change of screen, uprated suspension.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote