SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-07-19, 08:44 AM   #21
Othen

Default Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
I'm not trying to detract from the result. however,

OVERTHROW OR WILFUL ACT OF FIELDER - LAW 19.8

If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress IF THEY HAD ALREADY CROSSED AT THE INSTANT OF THE THROW OR ACT.'

My emphasis.

The batsmen in the case had not crossed when the ball was thrown, This is a pretty obscure law though, so the umpires can be forgiven.

Well, was the ‘act’ the fielder’s throw, it was it the instant the ball hit Ben Stokes’ bat? Either way, I think you are detracting from our marvellous victory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Othen; 16-07-19 at 12:54 PM.
Old 16-07-19, 08:46 AM   #22
Talking Heads

Default Re: Cricket

Quote:
I'm not trying to detract from the result. however,

OVERTHROW OR WILFUL ACT OF FIELDER - LAW 19.8

If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress IF THEY HAD ALREADY CROSSED AT THE INSTANT OF THE THROW OR ACT.'

My emphasis.

The batsmen in the case had not crossed when the ball was thrown, This is a pretty obscure law though, so the umpires can be forgiven.
No no no no no no no.
You should know better than to publish the facts.
Musn't let the rules of the game prevent England being awarded the world cup.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-19, 08:48 AM   #23
Othen

Default Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Two nations, England and Wales.

You are confusing the England and Wales Cricket Board, the administrative body that runs the game here, and the national team, which is called England.

You are also detracting from our marvellous victory, and ... (you can probably guess what might have followed).

Last edited by Othen; 16-07-19 at 12:57 PM.
Old 16-07-19, 08:48 AM   #24
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Well, was the ‘act’ the fielder’s throw, it was it the instant the ball hit Ben Stokes’ bat? Either way, I think you are detracting from out marvellous draw.
Fixed that for you.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-19, 08:48 AM   #25
Othen

Quote:
No no no no no no no.

You should know better than to publish the facts.

Musn't let the rules of the game prevent England being awarded the world cup.

Very, very sore loser!

Old 16-07-19, 08:50 AM   #26
Othen

Quote:
Fixed that for you.

Very, very, very sore loser!

Old 16-07-19, 01:22 PM   #27
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Where is LPH when she is needed, could have asked the gurus at Lords for a judgment ( LOL as if they would disagree with result and give NZ the trophy ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-19, 01:58 PM   #28
Othen

Default Cricket

Chatting about cricket with 4 or 5 chaps with almost no knowledge of the game, and particularly a Scot with a chip on his shoulder, has been amusing - as it always is.

Best stick to soccer and bingo chaps, whatever you detractors say the record will show England as cricket ODI world champions.

Perhaps Scotland will win the second tier competition and qualify for the 2023 World Cup- or perhaps it’s team will lose to Nepal next month (sorry, I could not help that one, but you have to admit it is funny).

Best wishes,

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16-07-19, 02:13 PM   #29
Heorot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Very, very sore loser!

Actually, I am English through and through so I am a winner not a loser. If you support Northants CC (as you should goven where you say you live) that makes you a loser.

Actually, I have respect for the laws of the game as I used to play it, albeit at quite a low standard. Never played football at any level apart from park kickabouts; a game for oiks.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver

Last edited by Heorot; 16-07-19 at 02:16 PM.
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-19, 02:53 PM   #30
Othen

Quote:
Actually, I am English through and through so I am a winner not a loser. If you support Northants CC (as you should goven where you say you live) that makes you a loser.

Actually, I have respect for the laws of the game as I used to play it, albeit at quite a low standard. Never played football at any level apart from park kickabouts; a game for oiks.

You know very well that you took that quote out of context Heorot; you are very aware it did not pertain to you (but to another contributor that claimed his country had beaten England at cricket recently, as if that would be relevant).

Why did you do that Heorot - did you want to fabricate some pretence by which to call me a loser?

I’m from Hampshire (and proudly a Hampshire Hog), we are having a pretty fair season (4th in division one at the moment). I do sometimes watch Northants with my neighbours at the excellent twenty20 bash evenings - if they were my county I’d be very proud - and certainly would not call my neighbours losers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk