SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-03-13, 06:24 PM   #1
A_Yam

Default Sup.. I'm new..

Hello, I'm, a new member.

I've been riding since august on a yamaha yzf r125 which I purchase for £2.1k. I managed to get my licence in December at the age of 17 (in before the lock ).

Now I currently playing the waiting game for my insurance on my future sv. I have to either wait for my ncb or wait for my family to finally move from my wretched part of london, to get any quote under £2,ooo (max ill pay).

Now I will most likely sell my r125 for cheap to get the funds once i get a decent quote for an pointy SV, so £1900 will sound right. I will then add another £500 to the pot so that will mean i will have £2400 for a pointy SV.

Now I'm just wondering what parts will i need/ how much will it cost, to make the front end of my future SV to look this.

E.G gsxr 2007+ usd/ type yoke / how to make the speedo work.
Would like parts which won't need to be altered drastically since I'm 18 with limited knowledge on bikes i would rather have parts that would fit onto the bike like a jigsaw.

Thanks...
Old 29-03-13, 06:28 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Sup.. I'm new..

if you're tight on insurance, I'm not sure you'll find modifying it a cheap option on that score.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-13, 06:37 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

realistically your talking £700 depending on what sort of deal you can find for a front end. if you can get a FULL front including the wheel for under £700 then your laughing.

don't be tempted by the ones listed in ebay from the states as you WILL get shafted for import duty/tax.

another problem is when you upgrade the front you then have to upgrade the shocky.

your young. your going to get utterly stuffed up the rear by insurance company's for insurance. in fact i very much doubt that any insurance company will insure you with the mods.

better getting emulators/springs/oil then a nice rear shock.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-13, 06:42 PM   #4
A_Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
if you're tight on insurance, I'm not sure you'll find modifying it a cheap option on that score.

Cheers Mark.
Got the money for insurance £2,ooo. It's just that I'm waiting to get a quote at £2,ooo because i can't justify paying more. When I already have a bike which will do the same job (inner city commute withe the odd 40mph road.)
Old 29-03-13, 06:44 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

at 17 your not going to get insurance for a modified bike.... anywhere.
Old 29-03-13, 06:48 PM   #6
A_Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
realistically your talking £700 depending on what sort of deal you can find for a front end. if you can get a FULL front including the wheel for under £700 then your laughing.

don't be tempted by the ones listed in ebay from the states as you WILL get shafted for import duty/tax.

another problem is when you upgrade the front you then have to upgrade the shocky.

your young. your going to get utterly stuffed up the rear by insurance company's for insurance. in fact i very much doubt that any insurance company will insure you with the mods.

better getting emulators/springs/oil then a nice rear shock.
Yh true, thanks for the input. I will try and prevent my self on modding the suspension. Won't be hard since the jump up to 600cc will get my heart racing alone, maybe after a few months when i get bored/ haven't dropped the bike may I then start considering changing the forks.
Old 29-03-13, 06:52 PM   #7
A_Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
at 17 your not going to get insurance for a modified bike.... anywhere.
Do most of you guys declare your modifications? I thought it was a rare thing.
I would only consider declaring all mods if i was fully comp. If i was covered with TPF&T, then i wouldn't.
If its stolen then its gone, then the bike is out of my/ insurers hands. If I bin it then its my fault and if someone goes into me then ill go directly to the 3rd party insurers not mine.
Old 29-03-13, 06:57 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

yes we declare mods as you would have to be a complete moron not to. it's not just the price of the bike it's if you smash into someone or they smash into you then the game is up and your out of luck.

ok so the odd little mod like stickers and leavers etc.etc are ok but not larger ones like exhausts, shockys and front ends.
Old 29-03-13, 06:59 PM   #9
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Firstly

How doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Yam View Post
Do most of you guys declare your modifications? I thought it was a rare thing.
I would only consider declaring all mods if i was fully comp. If i was covered with TPF&T, then i wouldn't.
If its stolen then its gone, then the bike is out of my/ insurers hands. If I bin it then its my fault and if someone goes into me then ill go directly to the 3rd party insurers not mine.
Legally required to declare modifications. If your intensions is to do the top one your never going to get insurance, others have struggled.
At 17 your best to put better fork springs in the front (and/ or emulators) and swap the shock. About £300 job and insurers don't go mad

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-13, 07:13 PM   #10
Tomor
Mega Poster

Default Sup.. I'm new..

I paid £700 for my first years insurance on the sv. I don't live in London and the mods were only cosmetic. I would dred to think how much a modded sv like bibs would cost me to insure at 19!! I would say stick with the simple mods, and wait until you have some years under your belt with the sv before doing anything drastic.