SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-05-06, 05:42 PM   #1
Diveboy

Default Bike Alarms

Being the tight **** that I am, I have been scouring eBay for cheap bike alarms.

I found this all singing all dancing bit of kit. What do you think and has anyone got one fitted?
DAM YOU EBAY!!
Old 20-05-06, 05:57 PM   #2
Razor

Doesn't say what the current drain is. I'm not a big fan of bike alarms, flat battteries and they get ignored anyway.

I'm looking for an alarmed disc lock, cheap and less intrusion into my bikes wiring harness. Mainly for when it's at home or down the shops, when I'll only be a short distance away from it.
Old 20-05-06, 06:10 PM   #3
TC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
Doesn't say what the current drain is. I'm not a big fan of bike alarms, flat battteries and they get ignored anyway.

I'm looking for an alarmed disc lock, cheap and less intrusion into my bikes wiring harness. Mainly for when it's at home or down the shops, when I'll only be a short distance away from it.
I have an Xena alarmed disc lock and Datatool alarm. Never had a flat battery and i would not be without the alarm as it does get attention regardless what you say. My bike is parked outside my office but not in view....alarm goes off when someone slightly moves the bike and has alerted me too a few kids who decide to try and sit on the bike!

That one on ebay could be fine but i never heard of em
Old 20-05-06, 06:14 PM   #4
Diveboy

There is this one as well Voice Alarm
Old 21-05-06, 06:19 AM   #5
falc

I fitted one of ebay to my SV and although it does the job its not that great, sure it goes off if you move the bike and the immobiliser works. But up against some kind of attack I could easily disable it while the datatool on my other bike is alot tougher and offers other benefits such as warning beeps before going off.

But the major thing as already mentioned is the drain on the battery, the datatool seems to sip very little power while the ebay job seems to chug it down. Its worth the money going for a proper make/model but then again if you are in a low risk area and just want the alarm for piece of mind and ride the bike alot a cheap one might do.
Old 21-05-06, 11:09 AM   #6
tomjones2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor

I have got a zena alarmed disc lock and its useless, water kept getting in the sensor making it think it was always armed, then water got in the main system and the alarm just starts beeping continouly. I thought the beeping was a battery waring but fresh batteries falied to solve it so i had to take them out.
Old 21-05-06, 11:14 AM   #7
Razor

I was looking at the oxford boss alarmed disc lock. I don't ride much in the rain either
Old 21-05-06, 01:36 PM   #8
Law

I have a Datatool system 3 alarm. Didn't flatten the battery after 6 weeks of my bike sitting idle in the garage.
Old 21-05-06, 02:20 PM   #9

i had sommat like that off ebay... twas ****e...

ddon not waste your money, i now rest safe in the knowldge that expensive alarma are expensive for a reason, there good..
Old 21-05-06, 08:46 PM   #10
mitchbligh

Default Disk Lock

After this happened:

http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=38639

I can totally rate the Xena XM9 alarmed disk lock. It only goes off with a reasonable amount of movement and I havn't had any trouble with moisture. Batts last about 6 months maybe a bit less but I found cheap ones on the internet. It saved my bike and it was on the other side of the road and I was asleep in my flat on the 2nd floor! I think my brain is tuned in to the sound of it! Obviously the down side of any disk lock is that if you forget about it or someone tries to steal the bike, you get a warped disk. I know. But I've been told you can get 'em straightened for £30 a pair so I think it's worth it. You tend not to ride off with it on the disk as it is beeping like crazy by the time you have the engine started if you forget to take it off...