SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-02-17, 10:00 PM   #1
KingDerelict

Default Short story

Short of money, short of time, and now I suspect there's a short on the bike...

2001 SV650, owned from new, had reg/rec replaced a couple of years back (but only about 1500 miles ago). New one looks OK, but given the old one exploded quite spectacularly I might be being generous.

I'm not great with electrics, but multi-meter is showing leakage when everything is off of around 0.5mA, which seems high to me. Output test shows 14.8v at idle (no lights), 12.5v (idle - lights on), and 12.5v (5000rpm - lights on).

I've had a look at the obvious suspects (sidestand/clutch/kill) but nothing obvious and squirted them with WD, but no change. As I have very little spare time, and even less money to get it fixed, does anyone have any ideas of where to look next, e.g. common problem areas?

I'll try and do some more testing with the engine running, but it's difficult until I can be home in daylight and in social hours (Scorpion stubby fitted, which upsets the neighbours...)

Any ideas gratefully received.
KingDerelict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-17, 10:49 PM   #2
phi-dan

Default Re: Short story

Check the wiring loom where it goes round bits of the frame, it can easily wear through a cable or two.
Under the seat where the loom heads back to the ECU and rear lights is a typical place for breaks to happen.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
Old 14-02-17, 01:26 PM   #3
Blapper

I am assuming you don't really mean 0.5mA as that is a very low drain. Anyway, try taking your fuses out one at a time to see where the current leakage is more clearly.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-17, 03:48 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I would worry about 0.5amp but not 0.5mA which is extremely low.

As Blapper says you need to start unplugging stuff and see when drain disappears.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-17, 01:22 PM   #5
KingDerelict

Thanks for your help guys.

Last time I did a leakage test it was virtually nothing - certainly less than 0.1mA - so I was curious why it should have increased, even though it's still relatively small. Wiring loom looks OK as far as I can see. Maybe leakage just increases with age - I know it does with me...

Maybe barking up the wrong tree then and need to look elsewhere.

In my simple world, if the battery is draining faster than the alternator can charge it, then either the battery is duff (it isn't), power is leaking out somewhere (which it sounds like it isn't, or not enough anyway), the alternator is duff (possible, but needs further examination), or the reg/rec isn't doing its job properly (also possible).

So I'll need to run some more tests over the weekend. But am I being too simplistic that if the voltage at idle with no load is at 14.8v, that suggests that the alternator is at least pumping something out? And if switching on the lights drops it to 12.5v, and increasing the revs has no effect, the prime suspect has to be the reg/rec?

If I can solve the problem by simply bolting on a decent reg/rec (such as the Electrex one recommended on the forum), that would be fantastic, but I don't want to do that if I've overlooked something obvious. So I'll test the alternator thoroughly - anything else I should consider whilst I'm annoying the neighbours?
Old 16-02-17, 03:20 PM   #6
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDerelict View Post
Thanks for your help guys.

Last time I did a leakage test it was virtually nothing - certainly less than 0.1mA - so I was curious why it should have increased, even though it's still relatively small. Wiring loom looks OK as far as I can see. Maybe leakage just increases with age - I know it does with me...

Maybe barking up the wrong tree then and need to look elsewhere.

In my simple world, if the battery is draining faster than the alternator can charge it, then either the battery is duff (it isn't), power is leaking out somewhere (which it sounds like it isn't, or not enough anyway), the alternator is duff (possible, but needs further examination), or the reg/rec isn't doing its job properly (also possible).

So I'll need to run some more tests over the weekend. But am I being too simplistic that if the voltage at idle with no load is at 14.8v, that suggests that the alternator is at least pumping something out? And if switching on the lights drops it to 12.5v, and increasing the revs has no effect, the prime suspect has to be the reg/rec?

If I can solve the problem by simply bolting on a decent reg/rec (such as the Electrex one recommended on the forum), that would be fantastic, but I don't want to do that if I've overlooked something obvious. So I'll test the alternator thoroughly - anything else I should consider whilst I'm annoying the neighbours?
I agree.I would suspect the R/R and or the multi-connector blocks to it that may have damaged it.Over the years I've seen several R/Rs ruined by the connector blocks getting corroded.It's an often overlooked part of maintenance.
If the connector spades/sockets become corroded the resistance at that point in the circuit can increase to a point where it over-heats and arcs and can even cause melting.Even before this the increased resistance puts a strain on other parts of the electrical system.

I've just had my rear fairing off to service R/R and rear lights connectors using Isopropanol Switch cleaner and ACF50,

Simple technique.
Pull apart connector,spray with Iso,push together and then pull apart again and let evaporate.
Then a few drops of ACF50 into the connector and push together.I also spray onto where the wires go into the connector and smear some ACF50 onto the wires where they are exposed.

If you don't know about ACF50 click here,

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle/streetbike.htm

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/motorcycle/n...20&%20Tips.pdf

I've been using it for over 10 years on Motorcycles and have used it in the Aircraft business.

This may not be your problem nor fix it but it's worth noting for the future.I've very few electrical problems since using ACF50 and servicing my electrics.Lots of good Motorcycle shops now stock it or you can get it online(Amazon/Ebay).

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 16-02-17 at 03:27 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-17, 08:38 PM   #7
KingDerelict

Thanks again for the input.

Alternator seems OK, so the key suspect has to be the reg/rec, so I've bitten the bullet and ordered an Electrex one.

In the meantime I've taken the opportunity to clean up as many contacts as I could - I have a can of ACF50 already but it tends to lurk at the back of the shelf as I use it mainly for chrome protection over the winter as it's not cheap, but obviously it's a complete waste of money if I don't use it when I need it - thanks for the links R1ffR4ff.

I understand I might need to use the angle grinder on the Electrex reg/rec to make it fit cleanly under the plastic, but if anyone has any other good ideas/tips on installation before it arrives they'd be most welcome.
Old 22-02-17, 09:01 PM   #8
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDerelict View Post
Thanks again for the input.

Alternator seems OK, so the key suspect has to be the reg/rec, so I've bitten the bullet and ordered an Electrex one.

In the meantime I've taken the opportunity to clean up as many contacts as I could - I have a can of ACF50 already but it tends to lurk at the back of the shelf as I use it mainly for chrome protection over the winter as it's not cheap, but obviously it's a complete waste of money if I don't use it when I need it - thanks for the links R1ffR4ff.

I understand I might need to use the angle grinder on the Electrex reg/rec to make it fit cleanly under the plastic, but if anyone has any other good ideas/tips on installation before it arrives they'd be most welcome.
Many many years ago an older biker/mentor of mine once said,when I was whinging about using up some stuff out of a spray can,"It's doing bugger-all use to anyone in the can"
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote