SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 01-06-10, 11:34 AM   #41
Sally

Default Re: Pirelli angel

Has anyone been through a rear or set on these?

Sillets couldn't give me my PR2's so I had to buy a Angel for my rear...

Not even 1K miles in yet, they don't look like they will last the 4K-6K I could get out of a PR2.

On the plus side, running a PR2 on the front with the angel rear, bike feels quite good.

However I have been out on some sunny days, and pushed the bike, but still not as hard as last year yet.

tyres worn all the way over to the side, maybe 5mm tops left, compared to the PR2's, thats not alot...

Really don't want to come off the edge...
Old 01-06-10, 11:38 AM   #42
dyzio
Mega Poster

I kinda like the rear, yeah they won't last as the PR2's but Sillet's stopped selling them because the price started getting close to £150 for a 180 rear.
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 11:47 AM   #43
dill89

hey guys, I've got an Angel on the back on my '98 Fazer, and tbh I think it's a cracker. had it for just over 4000 miles now and still a hell of a lot of tread left:

has started to square off at this time, but in all honesty it's only very slightly.
And as you can see, no chicken strips and i've not dropped it so grip on the outer edges is spot on, spanked her around quite a number of corners on the coast road and haven't had a single complaint.
Also in the wet I think they are pretty damn good, also haven't got a problem to note about it, although I am an overly cautious wet weather rider so they haven't been tested, and I intend to keep it that way
Old 01-06-10, 05:40 PM   #44
NAPA121

Fitted a full set today so will give updates once scrubbed in...

Proud Owner of a Yamaha FZ1-N....Man this thing is quick
NAPA121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 03:11 PM   #45
lammypie

after hearing some bad things about avons from one or 2 places ive put a set of angels on.. will let you know how they go once ive put a few miles on them. felt immediate improvement to my slightly square d220's that were on before in the wet on the way back.. even before scrubbing they gave more confidence.. spose tyres work better when round.

im told theyre designed to work together with the front angels, esp in the wet, luckily i needed both new anyway and theyre cheaper as a pair.. it might be just the sales pitch but it does makes sense to me to use the same front as rear on any make of tyre. is there any truth in this?

Last edited by lammypie; 12-01-11 at 03:15 PM.
Old 17-04-11, 07:34 PM   #46
dyzio
Mega Poster

The rear tyre has done ~8k miles now. Whilst the sides still have loads of life in them (believe me, I tried ), the centre of the tyre has developed cracks in the rubber, see for yourself:

This tyre was on the bike at the MOT no more than 500 miles ago, the centre patch is now on the wear markers. A friend of mine had something similar happen on his 600rr, so this might indicate that these tyres wear pretty fast towards the end of their life. I'm away next month, so I'm changing it now.

The tyre has covered all sorts of riding, from in town commuting, a bit of motorways, but since I've stopped using the bike for commuting, it was mostly used on "fun" roads: The GM, AR in Wales, France - Alps.

I've never had an issue with then in the dry, but I don't feel competent enough to give proper feedback in wet weather behaviour. Since the front is holding up ok, I'm going to replace it the same.

What I really liked about this tyre is how it made the bike handle. When I bought it, it had Michelin PR2's onboard. I had them on the SV and liked them, but somehow they didn't work on the Falco.
The Pirelli's seem to have a steeper profile and I found that since fitting them the bike was easier to lean into corners. I kinda doubt that it was a new against old tyre factor, because they are at the end of their life now and I still have no problem to lean the bike into a corner.

Despite the above, when the this set wears out, I'm tempted to try out the very popular on here - Avon Storms. Dunno if I can get them up here, but I have another 8k of riding to do first ;D
Old 13-07-11, 07:35 PM   #47
BigBaddad

Just order mine 120/70 and 170/60 from fleabay £189 but pirelli are giving £25 cash back on a pair.
Old 15-07-11, 06:07 AM   #48
BigBaddad

My current Pirelli's developed similar cracks. Then I discovered a large chunk missing. Change them ASAP.
Old 15-07-11, 06:22 AM   #49
timwilky
Mega Poster

could not get Rosso II last week, so now trying an Angel ST on the rear, the guy who owns the shop is running them on his bandit so he has faith in them. (or gets them cheap) but feck me £140 for a 180/55 fitted on a loose rear
Old 15-07-11, 08:03 AM   #50
dyzio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
but feck me £140 for a 180/55 fitted on a loose rear

I've just paid 109 for a new one