SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-05-09, 01:10 PM   #1
benjyman

Default Fuse keeps blowing

Was riding to uni the other day and suddenly RPM, speedo, indicators, neutral light etc stopped working. Got home, changed fuse, all fine. Then yesterday same thing happened. Have made a few changes recently. New speedo drive as old one was nackered, and also my back right indicator wasn't working for some reason so i had to wiggle the bulb about a bit.

Anyone had this problem at all? Might take the indicator bulb out before changing the fuse and see if that helps.
Old 19-05-09, 01:11 PM   #2
Jamiebridges123

Default Re: Fuse keeps blowing

Change the bulb/indicators and give all the connections a spraying of WD40, then check the reg/rec if it keeps blowing things.
Old 19-05-09, 01:13 PM   #3
gettin2dizzy

Sounds like it's shorting. You played with any of the bike recently?
Old 19-05-09, 01:43 PM   #4
benjyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Sounds like it's shorting. You played with any of the bike recently?
See first post - i've had a fiddle with one of my indies, and changed the speedo drive.

Another thing - It was raining both times, although i haven't ridden it when not raining to be fair
Old 19-05-09, 01:45 PM   #5
gettin2dizzy

It'll be the indies then. I did the same
Old 21-05-09, 10:20 PM   #6
benjyman

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I've now realised that my headlight, both dipped and full beam, has ceased to work. Can't think how the full beam fuse could have gone as i've not used it recently. I'll check the fuses tomorrow, but does this sound like a Reg/Rec problem?

I haven't tried to start it again since i realised so i hope i'm able to.
Old 22-05-09, 11:06 AM   #7
thefallenangel

could well be. Check.
Old 22-05-09, 11:11 AM   #8
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

what bike is it?

If its a faired curvy, have a peep at the red wire that runs from the big plastic connector block on the left side(sitting on bike) make sure its nice and clean and has a good contact.
I had a recent spate of blowing fuses, and on close inspection, when given a technical wiggle it made all the clock needles bounce everywhere. Cleaned up, and connected directly to itself, stopped it immediately. The terminals were then closed up slightly and put back in the relevant bit on the plastic connector. Never had an issue since

Its worth a shot....if its a faired curvy

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-09, 11:53 AM   #9
benjyman

It turns out the headlights are just a bit temperamental. It started working again without me having done anything. Any ideas what that could be? I've heard something about the starter button?

The fuse hadn't gone for ages, and i'd taken the back right indicator bulb out so i thought it must have been that causing it, but it went again yesterday. Where should i be looking for dodgy connections/wiring? Are there any common places?

It's a naked curvy.
Old 03-06-09, 11:57 AM   #10
plowsie

Ahh see when I did the same I managed to accidently short the indi wire out on the headlight, so with indi on trying to get it to flash, I had my headlight flashing Blows a few fuses...