SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-11-09, 11:45 AM   #1
DanAbnormal

Default Bike knocked over by wind - insurance cover?

I parked my bike in the underground car park today as I knew it was windy. I got told to move it to outside the front of the office. I explained it was windy hence I want to protect the bike from being knocked over by wind and I don't want to a) damage my bike, b) damage the office property or cars next to my bike.

What happens, at 10am I get an email:

"Your bike has been blown over into my car. Please give me your insurance details so I can claim off you"

It just so happened to have knocked into the car that belongs to the same woman who told me I am not allowed to park in a parking bay!!

We are on private property so should I tell her to talk a long walk off a short cliff?

I checked rules and regs and there is no rule against me parking my bike in a bay, and in fact this woman has no authority to tell me to park anywhere.

EDIT: To make it clearer I had moved my bike to outside the office once I was told (incorrectly) that I could not park in a bay underground.

Last edited by DanAbnormal; 19-11-09 at 11:52 AM.
Old 19-11-09, 11:56 AM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike knocked over by wind - insurance cover?

Not 100% sure but I'd say she claims off you, you claim off the company public liability insurance for both the damage to the car and to your bike as you were instructed to move it

Can't see you having legal reason to not provide details and not doing so may get you bother

Make sure you get her admission that she instructed you to leave the bike outside and you did so under protest in writing or you'll likely get shafted by the company bean counters
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-09, 12:00 PM   #3
philbut

Ah mate that is really rubbish. I can't be of help but hopefully you had some sort of witness to you telling her that the bike would blow over in the wind. stupid cow, grrrrr.
Old 19-11-09, 12:14 PM   #4
thedonal

That sucks. Yeah- I'd take that up with your company first, definately.
Old 19-11-09, 12:20 PM   #5
ophic
Mega Poster

If its a private car park, the police won't be interested. Is there any CCTV monitoring? cos if there aint, and no witnesses, i'd be tempted to tell her where to post her claim.
Old 19-11-09, 12:29 PM   #6
SUPERSTARDJ01

Same as, tell her to shuve it yp her ar*e, she might off pushed it over, you never know?
Old 19-11-09, 12:42 PM   #7
vardypeeps

That's a very fair point. She could have done it!
Old 19-11-09, 12:49 PM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Definitely dispute! If there's no cctv point blank refuse, get her to admit she told you to move it there and then battle it. Simply she could have set you up or alternatively it wasn't parked there out of your choice it was her/the companies choice if anything you should be claiming of her/them.
Old 19-11-09, 12:59 PM   #9
AndyBrad

small claims im guessing,

having had a car damaged in a private car park you dont have a leg to stand on basically.
Old 19-11-09, 02:05 PM   #10
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrad View Post
small claims im guessing,

having had a car damaged in a private car park you dont have a leg to stand on basically.
Eh. Why not. I came out of work to find a car embedded into the side of my personal car on the management car park. A quick check with security confirmed the offending vehicle to be a company vehicle and the keeper. A check then with admin confirmed a secretary had borrowed it and when questioned said she heard a noise as she parked up.

Insurance paid out for new rear 1/4, 2 door skins, front wing plus labour. Not bad for heard a noise