SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-06-05, 10:06 PM   #1
suzsv650

Default speeding!

Who worries about getting caught even when they know they haven’t really been speeding ... (like 40 in a 30 but no camera around) im so scared of them!

Who else has this phobia?
Old 16-06-05, 10:08 PM   #2
Carsick

It's always a worry, but I just try to keep aware of my surroundings so will always know if there is a cop car following me.
In my experience, if I'm being followed and I'm speeding, then if I notice them quickly and slow down, or I'm not speeding by a huge amount and just ride sensibly I don't get pulled over.
but then, I live in Hampshire, the police seem pretty reasonable around here.
Old 16-06-05, 10:42 PM   #3
Warren

if a tree falls in the woods and no one can hear it . . . does it make a sound ?

if you havent been seen - and you can see its clear (i.e no cars, no ped's, no gatso's) why not ?
Old 17-06-05, 06:46 AM   #4
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsick
It's always a worry, but I just try to keep aware of my surroundings so will always know if there is a cop car following me.
In my experience, if I'm being followed and I'm speeding, then if I notice them quickly and slow down, or I'm not speeding by a huge amount and just ride sensibly I don't get pulled over.
Exactly. I passed a marked car yesterday. He was doing just under 70 on a 60 road. I passed without excessive speed and at the first safe opportunity. I then proceeded to increase the gap at a steady pace. I do this ALL the time.

The police are only really interested in safety really unless they're having a bad day.
Old 17-06-05, 06:59 AM   #5
Tris

I agre, it's like they are waiting to jump out and shout "Gotcha"

That is the fundamental problem with speed cameras.

A human being can see that while you were over the limit a little there was no danger to the public as a whole. A dumb camera can't.

Between Gainsborough & Bawtry there is now a blanket 50mph limit. The biggets issue is that the averaging cameras (whatever they are called) are on the bits of dual carriage way. I think Notts Police Chief of Police must have been on a "How to be Stupid" course

The camera on its own is a very un-just solution to a perceived problem

Tris
Old 17-06-05, 08:02 AM   #6
philc2000

Personally a 30 limit means 30! and like wise for 40 limits. They are usually there for a very good reason. If you get caught speeding in these areas the penalty should be higher than doing 80 on a motorway as the risk to others is higher - like kids!!
National speed limit zones on the other hand are fair game in my opinion.

Most coppers are pretty good as long as you aren't doing anything daft...

I just they wish there to catch those that drive at 40 everywhere including in 30 zones... You catch them up and then they the speed away from you in the 30 grrrr
Old 17-06-05, 08:09 AM   #7

I seem to have a sixth sense about a few things...however i am yet to see dead people!!

No seriously, i know what you mean, i was always very afraid of getting caught....... then i did get done by a speed camera,

but cest la vie, one of thoses things, it means the fast car i want will have to wait 3 years now not 4, but hey,

(speaking of which 82 in a 70 ---- my uncle whos a copper even said that it was unjust.... but hey ho....)
Old 17-06-05, 08:11 AM   #8
SVeeedy Gonzales

Yeah, I'm always concerned about this, though so long as you know where the cams are, don't go mad (I don't tend to go more than 10mph over the limit for more than a few seconds at a time) and keep an eye out for cops, etc. then there's not much else you can do.

It's worked for me for the last 2.5 years since I've been riding/driving. Also helps to make sure you're never the fastest one - always be a bit slower and let a few others go ahead of you I know I'll be overtaking them when they start filtering into London anyway
Old 17-06-05, 08:54 AM   #9
minky

We have a 20 in a school zone, local village school houses everywhere and this woman was parading her kids up and down with signs, daft bint nearly knocked me off with her damn sign!

When I advised her I was doing sub 20 and she was causing more danger to her children then I was she stormed off.

Week later she's caught doing 40 in the 20! £0 fine 0 points 0 warnings nada she got 'let off' !!

I agree, 20's, 30's & 40's are there for a reason (mostly) but 50's and nationals are fair game
Old 17-06-05, 09:15 AM   #10
suzsv650

i got cought in a 50 !

i over took a caar and thire it was a mobile! i was doing 71 in a 50 not pleased!

so the mobile ones are the rear fear