SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-07-07, 05:18 PM   #1
muffles

Default Wheel alignment, again

I finally got round to checking my wheel alignment today, using the string method - and according to the results it was out of alignment.

I was using the string round the back wheel (not front wheel) method (I think there's a way to do it round the front wheel too). Where should/do you measure from on the front wheel (to the string)?

I was worried I hadn't got my front perfectly straight (and that maybe I couldn't do it visually) so I measured from two places on the front wheel. The first was the from the bottom of the brake disc (I assumed since it was as central as possible it would be the point of least impact if the wheel was not straight). I also measured from a point on the rim too, that was forward of the disc, in case the discs were weirdly offset.

However, when the distances were "corrected" on the front wheel, I measured the distance shown in the photo below and they were different (approx 8.1cm vs 7.8cm I think it was). Not 100% sure but I think previously they were the same. I'd have expected these to be the same when the wheels were aligned, so I'm a little worried I've done something wrong and actually misaligned my wheels.

Ok so far it sounds like I just didn't believe or trust my own results, but the reason for asking is that I haven't seen any negative effects in 2600 miles?! Which is quite surprising.

So what sort of effects do misaligned wheels produce?

Incidentally in case anyone is interested the initial distances I measured on each side were (from brake disc/from wheel rim) 1.7cm/2.7cm on the left, and 4cm/5cm on the right. I've now got this at about 3.1cm/4.1cm on the left and 3cm/4cm on the right, which is accurate enough for me

Old 28-07-07, 05:24 PM   #2
muffles

Default Re: Wheel alignment, again

Also it was awkward to measure the red line in that photo - on the other side there's a bit 36mm nut in the way! But I don't think I'm that far off with the measurement - maybe 1mm or so. But worth considering if those "should" be the same each side, then I will go re-measure...
Old 28-07-07, 06:05 PM   #3
muffles

Ehm, this is not for a SV, but feel free to move it to the SV forum?! (I posted it in Bikes - Talk & Issues )
Old 28-07-07, 08:15 PM   #4
kwak zzr

this explains it all well muffles,
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/sportryde...ntmethod.shtml
Old 29-07-07, 12:26 AM   #5
muffles

Cheers, but that basically says what I've already done I'm just not very trusting of it. Need some reassurance I haven't buggered up my wheel alignment, given in the 2600 miles previously I have had *no* side effects!

The only other thing is on the measurement of the red arrow - but that's something specific to GSX-R600/750 K6/K7 owners I think. They might be able to verify (or otherwise) that the red arrow distance is not necessarily the same each side.