SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-07-18, 09:02 AM   #6081
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. Neighbour suggested ant powder to get rid of them. Seems to have worked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
This is the only stuff I use now - (and don't have to use much as years of use have depleted our ants so much) they carry it back too nest, and I can vouch that ant activity in a nest stops within a few days to a week and never comes back. I know ants do a good job but when they are burrowing in your lawn or under patio they can be a PITA, and every year new flying queens arrive in your garden, shed their wings and start new nests...............

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/home-def...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-18, 10:58 AM   #6082
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Monday July 30th 2018. What have I learned today?

1) £49 of bagged 5p, 2p, 1p coin is heavy and uncomfortable in a backpack when walking a mile or so.
2) LLoyds bank will only take 10 bags of coin per day...
3) ... and only if you are a customer. (I'm not).
4) Natwest will take coin but not bagged (wot?), you have to unbag it, poor it into a counting machine and take the receipt to the teller.

...but, but, but won't it have to be bagged later for businesses?

To be fair, Natwest did say that their main branch will take bagged coin. LLoyds used to take coin, no limit and you didn't have to be a customer.

If you don't like things changing are you a conservative? Is there a cure?
Just spend it?
Old 30-07-18, 11:08 AM   #6083
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Buy stuff at the self serve checkouts and just chuck any spare change you have in there. You can then pay the remaining amount with a card. Also pay for everything with contactless. Then you won't get any change
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-18, 11:14 AM   #6084
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Insurance rant time...

Bike insurance renewal came through at a whopping £240, a quick look on comparison site brings up a quote of £140. Called Bennetts and within a few minutes they had managed to better the renewal down to £133.

Robbing bugg*rs, why can't they just give you the best price to start with instead of hoping people will just accept the renewal

Then onto my van insurance renewal, comparison site again gives me similar cover for almost £250 less for the year. Further checking onnthe renewal paperwork shows I only have 3 years NCD. Now I did have an accident in 2017 but I also had protected ncd on the policy. After another phone call they admit their "mistake" and reinstate my 9 years NCD but no reduction in the renewal cost
Old 30-07-18, 12:46 PM   #6085
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
Insurance rant time...

Bike insurance renewal came through at a whopping £240, a quick look on comparison site brings up a quote of £140. Called Bennetts and within a few minutes they had managed to better the renewal down to £133.

Robbing bugg*rs, why can't they just give you the best price to start with instead of hoping people will just accept the renewal

Then onto my van insurance renewal, comparison site again gives me similar cover for almost £250 less for the year. Further checking onnthe renewal paperwork shows I only have 3 years NCD. Now I did have an accident in 2017 but I also had protected ncd on the policy. After another phone call they admit their "mistake" and reinstate my 9 years NCD but no reduction in the renewal cost
My renewal with carole nash came in at £640! Went on confused and the cheapest is £250
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-18, 02:43 PM   #6086
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

They do it because people just accept it and pay silly money....you'd think there would be laws against it wouldn't you lol

Triumph and Suzuki owner
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-18, 04:34 PM   #6087
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Not when them what makes the laws are bezzy mates with them what makes the obscene profits. Not just the present lot either!
Old 30-07-18, 06:19 PM   #6088
pookie

more insurance gripes. Insurance quote on wednesday. Remindaer email from insurance company on thursday. Another reminder at 15:55 about how the insurance will expire today ( friday) . Log on to buy insurance at 16:38 and all quotes suddenly expired. Refresh quotes. and it goes up by £80! Grrr apparently its a live market says the call centre.
Set the new renewal day forward to monday and it drops by £30. Redo quote today and its lower than the original quote price!
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-18, 11:51 AM   #6089
Tom_the_great

Training Coaches !

Starting a new course at work and I tried to offer abit of feedback and was just shot down. No positive thank you or anything, feeling very deflated!

Oh and to top it of ive been going over maths and english tests which has also made be feel dumb as I cannot remember much about fractions !

Black Tinted Screen!, Evotech Tail Tidy!, OEM Rear Hugger!, R&G Crash Bungs!, Delkevic Exhuast!

Current Mileage = 3000 (Ish)
Tom_the_great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-18, 12:55 PM   #6090
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_the_great View Post
Oh and to top it of ive been going over maths and english tests which has also made be feel dumb as I cannot remember much about fractions !
I've found youtube to be a really good source of explanatory material for maths. Animated diagrams can make things much clearer.

Not so much for English as it tends towards US style. But maths is universal