SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-09-15, 10:43 AM   #91
Stenno

Default Re: Films I've watched recently...

Cowspiracy on Netflix. OK it's a documentary rather than film as such but it's an eye opener.
Old 28-09-15, 07:38 PM   #92
pookie

Its a sci fi movie based on that grand daddy fps shooter Doom.. well the one after wolfenstein
With a cast consisting of 'The Rock' and Rosamund Pike it could've hauled itself to the upper shelves of blockbusters but remained rooted to the bargain basement bin near the exit. The story is the familiar dodgy aliens rampaging around a science lab with the swat team sent in to rescue whoever is still alive. Enter stage left the zombies who are infact the remains of the scientists. The budget for special fx didnt extend to lighting so it is mainly shot in the dark to enhance the ambience. It is never easy to take a video game and turn it into a film* see streetfighter- the movie, resident evil of which the end result is generally a poor rendition of the in game video sequences without the fun of the game play. Doom incorporates a nasuea inducing fps game sequence towards the end of the film making me wonder why on earth I continued to watch this instead of spending an hour on the xbox. If you are a fan of video games to movie genre then give it a whirl but otherwise the experience is similar to playing your old childhood video games today and wondering why on earth you wasted so much time on them when you were young.

* except Hitman which was actually quite a good
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future

Last edited by pookie; 03-01-16 at 01:10 PM.
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-15, 06:29 AM   #93
PyroUK
Mega Poster

Default Films I've watched recently...

Agent 47 did do a good job at it. Certain parts weren't great but all in all a good action flick about everyone's favourite bald assassin.

Also watched Tomorrowland recently. Don't bother.

I don't feel aggrieved by watching it like I did with fantastic four, but it wasn't inspiring. If you have time to kill and nothing else to do, it will pass the time. Just don't expect a great story or much cerebral stimulation
Old 29-09-15, 06:55 AM   #94
maviczap
Mega Poster

The Drop - with James Gandolfi low budget NewYork based movie. Strange start, but a watchable movie, based upon the way gangster money is moved around the city. Interesting characters made this movie for me, rather that the plot.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-15, 11:07 AM   #95
pookie

The 51st state / formula 51 depending on where you are based. A lead of cast including Samuel L jackson and Robert Carlyle hauls this film above expectations. I should mention the appearance of Meat Loaf and Rhys Ifans point towards the comedic direction of the plot. The story of a Kilt wearing American doing a multi million pound drug deal in Liverpool does sound a tad far fetched and the onscreen performances carries along the implausibility. Throw in Emily Mortimer as the gun for hire and a somewhat disfunctional story becomes mildly amusing for an hour and half. Frankly the ridiculous story line and farcical characters add to the charm ( think Trainspotting with Lock Stock and you wont be far off). The has comedy value all the way through and an it provides an amusing perspective of Liverpool. 7/10

Last edited by pookie; 01-10-15 at 12:29 PM.
Old 30-09-15, 11:32 PM   #96
Amadeus

Default Films I've watched recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
The Drop - with James Gandolfi low budget NewYork based movie. Strange start, but a watchable movie, based upon the way gangster money is moved around the city. Interesting characters made this movie for me, rather that the plot.

And more importantly, Tom hardy!
Old 20-10-15, 07:23 AM   #97
Amadeus

Knock Knock - Eli Roth horror starring Keanu Reeves. A bit cringeworthy so I guess that makes it good horror but it's not grisly.
Old 20-10-15, 07:25 AM   #98
Amadeus

Hitting the apex - film about 6 riders in MotoGP. Not watched it all yet, it's quite long. Couldn't watch the footage of Simoncelli's death. Film is good so far tho - worth a watch.
Old 21-10-15, 11:15 AM   #99
Viney
Mega Poster

The last film that i watched Was Pirates of the Caribbean at Worlds End. The other half has never seen any of them, but is loving it

Got On stranger tides this weekend

Last film at the cinema was Man Form UNCLE. Next will be Spectre (So excited)...god im a sad 44 year old
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-16, 01:06 PM   #100
pookie

Imitation game

A film about the Alan Turing's shenanigans in hut 8. Wonderful cast and quick paced movie about the dilemmas faced by Alan Turing over the world war 2 period. The viewer is thrust into the quandries faced by Turing both on a personal and God like level. Benedict starts off with a classic Sherlock persona but ingratiates himself to the viewer as he develops the character . It reiterates how badly he was treated and the immense work he contributed to the war effort and modern computers today. Not as grim as it sounds and quite reflective. 9/10

Last edited by pookie; 03-01-16 at 01:08 PM.