SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-01-12, 10:44 PM   #1
Dunn-y

Default Think I need a Carb synch

I'm almost certain I need a Carb synch as my idle is set to roughly 1300rpm but fluctuates between 1200 - 1500rpm even when fully warmed up. (After a 15 mile ride)

Now I don't have the tools to do a Carb synch and am not sure how long a Carb synch would normally take so dont know how much a garage would charge me until I ask them sometime this week.

However I would much rather do this myself as I've read it's not that hard to do and I've seen guides on here on how to do it somewhere. I'll have a better look when I have more time.

Anyway would you say a Carb synch is easily do-able for someone who hasn't had the Airbox off before? (Never touched the Carbs)

IIRC there's a simple 'mod' if you would call it that to help make future Crab synchs easier by fitting a 'T' with some extra hose on the Vacuum line or something. Only skimmed it when I read it last so can't quite remember off the top of my head.

Just basically wanted a heads up on whether I should attempt it myself or just get a garage to do it for now?
Old 01-02-12, 12:42 AM   #2
Destruktor77

Default Re: Think I need a Carb synch

Perfect, was very close to asking the very same question myself.

Mine does that during idling, and also when riding along at a constant speed it's not very smooth and the mileage is lower for a tank that what's been said on here. Don't know if these things related to carb sync or not. Is yours like this too?
Old 01-02-12, 12:59 AM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

balancing the carbs is neither complicated or difficult, as long as you have a carbtune or gauges (ask around you'll probably find someone has a set you can borrow if you ask nicely), it's a 20 minute job.

The modification you mention isn't a T piece, but just an extension tube to the front vacuum take off (make sure you plug it when you're finished), you'll find when you do it first time that's the one that's hard to get to, the extension makes subsequent ones far easier, it's also worth checking you have no vacuum leaks on any of the rubbers whilst you're in there.

Oh and thanks for reminding me to get my carbtune back.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 06:29 AM   #4
Dunn-y

Sort of. Most noticeable when I'm in 1st or 2nd with not much throttle input. Just need to get my hands on a carb tune now.
Old 01-02-12, 07:02 AM   #5
Red ones
Mega Poster

I couldn't find anyone locally who could lend me a carbtune, as as a set of gauges can be £80 I took mine to the garage - £45
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 12:59 PM   #6
Dunn-y

EDIT: (I'm an idiot)

Last edited by Dunn-y; 01-02-12 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-02-12, 01:14 PM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn-y View Post
I will get a quote from the garage when I go to ask them about my Chain and Sprocket replacement. I don't want to purchase a Carb tune as most bikes now have EFI and I'm hoping to get one of the newer model SV's next year if I have the money by then.
you do of course know that fuel injected bikes have throttle bodies that also require balancing (with the same gauges) as part of your normal maintenance schedule? just wondering why you feel a carbtune would be a waste ?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 04:35 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Carbtune works on EFI too...
Old 01-02-12, 04:46 PM   #9
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

...but with the (EFI) SV, you need an OBD tool to turn off the throttle position sensor (TPS) and they're £150+
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 05:49 PM   #10
Dunn-y

I've just made myself look like even more of an idiot. Guess I should buy myself a 2nd hand one next time I'm paid then.